Site Reliability Engineer - Observability (m/f/d) (Remote)
Remote, Remote, Germany /
Engineering and Product – Engineering /
Yelp is looking for an experienced Site Reliability Engineer to guide our engineering teams toward a reliable and efficient future.
The Production Observability team collaborates with groups all across Yelp Engineering to improve visibility into the health of business-critical services and infrastructure, with the goal of reducing the amount of time it takes to diagnose issues in production.
We do this by combining metrics, traces and logs to build a platform that helps teams understand how their systems behave in production, not only when they’re broken.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity, and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems.
New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager, mentor and team. At the end of the day, we are all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
This opportunity has the option to be fully remote throughout Germany. We’d love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- Design, build and deploy software systems that run 24/7 at scale.
- Drive best practices by coordinating across many teams and teaching other engineers how to investigate problems.
- Build tooling to identify hot spots and regressions across the infrastructure that put Yelp products at risk.
- Dive deep into our large service-oriented architecture to make it transparent, measurable and tunable.
- Optimize our workflows and products systematically through automation.
- Participate in light on-call rotations - we have geographically distributed SRE teams for follow-the-sun support, which means no 2:00 AM pages!
What It Takes To Succeed:
- An experienced software engineer, with an interest in observability and devops.
- Familiarity with performance analysis tools. (e.g. tracers, profilers, debuggers, visualization tools)
- Fluency in Python, C, C++, Java, or a similar language.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- Experience exploring datasets and turning performance metrics into easily-understood data visualizations.
- Familiarity with real-user and/or synthetic performance monitoring.
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 30 days paid vacation per year plus one floating holiday
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences
- Complementary elective German lessons for international employees
- €64 per month toward any wellness activity of your choice
- Quarterly team offsites
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other protected status.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.