Senior Software Engineer, Backend (New York)
New York City /
About the Role
You will be part of a core engineering team building the world’s most robust lending platform to connect Investors with borrowers. You are a self-motivated hacker and tinkerer that can wear many hats and is excited to build business applications that drive revenue and delight our customers. You are entrepreneurial in nature and balance between building the coolest product using bleeding-edge technology with an eye on go to market timing and established stable technologies. As a back-end engineer you’re obsessed with the ideas of performance, scale and well-designed, well-abstracted, reusable code. You have a strong sense of personal responsibility towards building the most efficient and easy to use APIs for your primary constituency - front-end developers. Most importantly, you can’t sleep peacefully if your APIs leave stack traces or don’t respond within 30 milliseconds no matter what they do.
While we're all remote for the moment, we're looking for a candidate who can be based out of NYC. When we eventually return to the office, we expect to take a hybrid-office approach where you can work from home but be in the office 2-3 days a week.
What you'll do:
- Work with a diverse global team of engineers, designers and product managers to build truly innovative technology products for the alternative investments space
- Build and ship a robust online lending marketplace and investment management platform on a Java (Play/Lagom) microservices stack.
- Develop and maintain a growing repository of microservices serving a range of front-end applications and devices, both internal and public-facing
What you'll need:
- B.S. in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent
- 6+ years of software development experience, releasing commercial products or web based high volume transaction systems
- Expert knowledge of Java (8+) programming
- Strong experience with web application frameworks and API development with an eye to REST fidelity, performance, security and event-sourced microservice development (reactive programming)
- Strong foundation in OOP, REST, messaging systems (e.g. Kafka, Kinesis, RabbitMQ), and streaming data (Apache Spark, AWS Kinesis)
- Expert knowledge in working with multiple database platforms - relational (MySQL/Postgres), unstructured (Cassandra, DynamoDB) and transient (Redis)
Bonus points for:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science
- Play Framework, Akka and Lagom experience
- Strong experience working in virtualized environments like Docker
- Previous entrepreneurial venture or early stage start-up experience
Yieldstreet is building the largest global digital wealth management platform to change the way wealth is created. With an investor-first approach, our investor community builds a diversified portfolio of investments outside of the stock market to generate passive income. Yieldstreet is giving unprecedented access to asset classes such as Real Estate, Marine, Legal, Art & Private Business Credit. We’re headquartered in New York City with offices in Brazil, Argentina, Malta and Greece.
We offer an attractive market compensation and benefits package including a stock option plan, health, dental & vision benefits, life insurance, unlimited paid vacation, sabbatical and paid holidays and that's before you even step in the office!
This is an opportunity to work with a group of diverse, smart, and friendly people from 8 different countries who speak a total of 17 different languages. Our team is composed of successful entrepreneurs with combined exits of over $2B, and we continue to stay social during the pandemic with virtual social hours, exercise classes, meditation sessions, recipe sharing and so much more!
Yieldstreet is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.