You.com is the world's first open search engine platform that summarizes the web for users, with no ads, superior privacy choices, and personalization through preferred sources.
You.com is more than just a new search engine — it's a movement to make the internet a place of trust, facts, and kindness — our guiding principles that we're committing to from day one.
It's an audacious goal, but we're ambitious people. We're looking for a few more ambitious folks to join our team.
We’re not just wide-eyed dreamers – we’re pragmatic doers, too. Our founder and CEO, Richard Socher previously started an AI company called MetaMind. Salesforce acquired the company, and Richard became Chief Scientist, leading the company’s AI efforts. Prior to MetaMind, Richard received the best Ph.D. thesis award from Stanford for his groundbreaking work on deep learning. Bryan McCann, co-founder and CTO, is a scientist and philosopher who led natural language processing teams at Salesforce after completing his Master's in C.S. at Stanford. Our founding team members have built companies worth hundreds of millions of dollars and scaled software to serve millions of users. For fun, we run marathons, paramotor, write poetry, read Latin, hike, and camp in the middle of nowhere.
If this sounds intriguing, say hello!
About the Job
We’re building privacy-respecting analytics at web scale, to learn what our users love and continuously improve our product. Exec, Marketing, Product, and Eng teams rely on our analyses to make decisions, draw insights, and plan their strategy. We are the lantern in the dark, helping truth seekers find the way.
As a data engineer you will help us strengthen the foundation of our work, bringing in expertise in event collection, processing pipelines, and data management. You bring expertise in ETL (or ELT), data warehouses, instrumentation and pipelines, and you get excited when the scale of data increases. You are curious about AI and want to contribute to the future of search. This is not an entry-level position.
- Design, build, and maintain data pipelines to support our search engine product
- Develop and maintain data warehousing solutions to enable efficient data analysis and reporting
- Collaborate with data scientists and software engineers to ensure data quality and consistency across the platform
- Troubleshoot and fix issues related to data processing and storage
- Continuously evaluate and improve our data infrastructure to ensure scalability and reliability
- You are excited by data at scale.
- 3+ years of experience working with distributed processing frameworks, such as Databricks/Spark and stream processing, event driven technologies such as Kafka
- You have built ETL and ELT pipelines
- You have worked with user event data and time series data
- You have worked on feature engineering and data enrichment in the context of a large scale consumer product
- You have an eye for data privacy, and are aware of best practices around data security and access
- You are comfortable working with data of all formats, from relational DBs, to non relational DBs
- You are a kind, friendly person and strive to create a kind, inclusive work place filled with smiles and laughter
- You take and give feedback graciously as part of growing individually and as a team
- You will take joy in collaborative brainstorming and proposing novel extensions
- You want to play an active role throughout the process of delivering your work to users
- You are always willing to learn what you do not know
- You are dependable and take pride in your work
- You enjoy jumping in to help others with whatever part of the product they are building
- You want to be part of defining and building a team around a vision and technology that has a direct path to improving the daily lives of people all over the world
More about You.com
You.com is an equal opportunity employer: your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status don’t matter. We’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace that is effectively distributed around the world.
We're a remote-first company, but work hours are generally within the Pacific Timezone (7 hours behind UTC). We get together in-person regularly as a team, but as long as your able to maintain significant overlap with Pacific hours during the workday we're comfortable hiring in almost any location (location-specific legal requirements permitting).
• Competitive salary and equity
• Great health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
• 401(k) plan
• Unlimited time off (4+ weeks encouraged annually)
• Generous parental leave
• Flexible work hours