Product Design Prototyper
The internet is broken.
Yes, we have access to more information than ever before, but too often, hate and misinformation win. What if we could remake the internet into a place of trust, kindness, and facts? And what if we had technology to actually help us through complex decisions?
You.com is on a mission to build a better internet, and to get there we are experimenting with radically new ways to help our users confidently make better decisions. It’s an audacious goal, but we’re ambitious people. We’re looking for a few more ambitious folks to join the founding team.
We’re not just wide-eyed dreamers – we’re pragmatic doers, too. Our founder and CEO, Richard Socher previously started an AI company called MetaMind. Salesforce acquired the company, and Richard became Chief Scientist, leading the company’s AI efforts. Prior to MetaMind, Richard received the best PhD thesis award from Stanford for his groundbreaking work on deep learning. Bryan McCann, co-founder and CTO, is a scientist and philosopher who led natural language processing teams at Salesforce after completing his Masters in CS at Stanford. Our founding team members have built companies worth hundreds of millions of dollars and scaled software to serve millions of users. For fun, we run marathons, paramotor, write poetry, read Latin, hike, and camp in the middle of nowhere.
If this sounds intriguing, say hello!
About the Job
We are hiring a world-class team of designers to conceive, design, and help implement you.com. You.com is a consumer-facing search platform that harnesses AI to surface trusted information for more confident user decisions.
Our design team conceptualizes, designs, and creates the user experience for you.com. They consider each feature, human interaction — including every visual and interactive experience — to create a beautiful, intuitive, and useful platform. To reinforce that commitment, you.com provides the design team with unparalleled levels of opportunity for innovation and world-class design, resulting in products that will shape the future of search and people’s lives. Areas of work include User Experience, Visual interface design, Product Prototyping, and Production.
We’re currently looking for an experienced Product Design Prototyper to join the founding team and our fast-paced organization: you are electrified by the possibilities and challenges of building a consumer application with high public visibility.
Some think there’s nothing new to say about search, but you disagree and feel energized by the challenge of crafting a fresh and compelling user experience.
Imagine what you could do at you.com. You would be part of defining and building prototypes to help realize our vision that has a direct path to improving people’s daily lives worldwide. At you.com, new ideas have a way of becoming an extraordinary customer experience very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job, and there’s no telling what you could accomplish.
- 5+ years work experience as a professional interactive product design prototyper building rapid prototypes and creating proof-of-concept demos, including responsive interfaces, working with different user events, manipulating UI elements, and applying animations/transitions
- An excellent online and interactive design portfolio with examples of responsive Web-based software and your platform prototypes for desktop and mobile
- Proven ability to define new approaches to complex design problems and convey solutions in the form of wireframes, high fidelity mockups, presentations, click-through prototypes, and design specifications
- Experience interpreting data and qualitative feedback and perform tests with users
- Process-driven with strong interaction design skills, careful attention to detail, and a deep understanding of user-centered design principles
- Able to function independently to support multiple ongoing projects and in a team environment, with excellent collaboration skills
- Enthusiasm for an iterative design process inspired by group critique, openness to new ideas, an eye for detail, and a desire to work with designers
- Deep understanding of responsive design, Web standards, and best design practices, design aesthetics, and accessibility
- Enthusiastic about design evangelism and establishing design processes across teams
- Experience defining and supervising success through site analytics/metrics
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills. Confident in addressing a wide team of partners
- Highly skilled in Figma (required) and other industry-standard design tools, e.g., Adobe Creative Cloud
To apply, you must have extensive interactive prototyping expertise and education, a web-based interactive portfolio, a resume, and a cover letter
5+ years in the field of prototyping high-fidelity, interactive prototypes. Preferred: Bachelors Degree in BA or BS or Masters. We’ll make exceptions for candidates with strong portfolios and expertise.
A web-based interactive portfolio + resume shows your in-depth experience around prototyping, animation, UX design, interaction design, or similar experience across the Web for both desktop and mobile. A link to your online portfolio is required. Make sure to provide passwords as needed. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered. If parts of your portfolio involved group work, please explain your specific role in the project. Bonus points if you include any projects you have worked on for fun or solve a problem yourself! If you include your LinkedIn profile, that’s great; however, please know that your LinkedIn profile does not count as a portfolio.
More about You.com
You.com is an equal opportunity employer: your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status don’t matter. We’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace that is effectively distributed around the world.
We're a remote-first company, but work hours are generally within the Pacific Timezone (7 hours behind UTC). We get together in-person regularly as a team, but as long as your able to maintain significant overlap with Pacific hours during the workday we're comfortable hiring in almost any location (location-specific legal requirements permitting).
• Competitive salary and equity
• Great health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
• 401(k) plan
• Unlimited time off (4+ weeks encouraged annually)
• Generous parental leave
• Flexible work hours