Senior Product Manager, Core Database
Sunnyvale, CA /
We are the creators of YugabyteDB, an open source, high-performance, distributed SQL database for powering global, internet-scale applications. YugabyteDB is well positioned to become the foundation for cloud-native applications over the next decade. Growth in the YugabyteDB open source community has exploded in the last year, with a 4x increase in new clusters, a 13x increase in Slack users and a 3x increase in GitHub stars. Our enterprise customer base continues to grow and includes Kroger, Narvar, Plume, Admiral and Xignite, among others. The company has received $55M in funding from top-tier software infrastructure VCs including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Dell Technologies Capital, 8VC and Wipro Ventures.
About the Role
The Core Database team builds the fully open-source, ACID-compliant, Google Spanner-inspired YugabyteDB and is comprised of two sub-teams, namely DocDB and Query Layer. As the first dedicated product manager in this team, you will be responsible for all aspects of bringing the distributed SQL database to the market while serving the needs of both community and enterprise users. This is a unique opportunity to partner with a fast-growing, world-class engineering team to deliver a cloud-native PostgreSQL-compatible database that runs relational apps natively on modern infrastructure platforms including Kubernetes and that too across multiple regions/clouds without losing data integrity.
In this role you can expect to:
- Craft the product roadmap by understanding the user needs, market landscape, and Yugabyte principles.
- Conduct user research, write product requirements specifications, develop mockups to distill the research into clear requirements for engineering
- Prioritize and track the deliverables in the product roadmap by continuously assimilating feedback from all stakeholders.
- Contribute to product documentation highlighting the rationale behind features as well as how to use them in real-world use cases
- Communicate product status to sales, marketing and support on feature releases and keep engineering informed on feature requests
- Help with sales and marketing collateral to educate on the product story and features (Website copy, blogs, white-papers, sales decks, FAQs, etc)
You may be a good fit for our team if you have:
- 3+ years experience in data infrastructure or related IaaS products and/or services; AWS and/or Google Cloud background preferred.
- Strong understanding of SQL (PostgreSQL is a plus) databases and the associated ecosystem of ORM frameworks, migration tools and more
- Excellent user and market research skills
- Ability to organize multiple stakeholders towards a common goal
- Strong technical acumen, with a solid understanding of infrastructure principles
- Experience with managing open source products preferred but not required
- BS/BA Degree required
To learn more about the database architecture, company business model and recent news:
- Distributed PostgreSQL on a Google Spanner Architecture – Storage Layer
- Distributed PostgreSQL on a Google Spanner Architecture – Query Layer
- Why We Changed YugabyteDB Licensing to 100% Open Source
- TechCrunch - Yugabyte lands $30M Series B as open source database continues to flourish
- SiliconAngle - Yugabyte raises $30M for its cloud-native distributed SQL database
Please note we require a writing sample for your application to be considered complete. This writing sample can be a Product Requirements Document or similar document that showcases your ability to distill complex ideas into simple items that can be delivered by another team.