Senior Product Manager, Core Database
Sunnyvale, CA /
North America – Product /
At Yugabyte, we are on a mission to build the default database for cloud native applications in a multi cloud world. We are well underway on this journey with YugabyteDB, the open source, high-performance, distributed SQL database that runs on any cloud and enables developers to get instantly productive using well-known APIs. And the best is yet to come! We are looking for talented and driven people to join us on our ambitious mission and help us build a lasting and impactful company.
The Core Database team builds the fully open-source, ACID-compliant, Google Spanner-inspired YugabyteDB and is comprised of two sub-teams, namely DocDB and Query Layer. As the first dedicated product manager in this team, you will be responsible for all aspects of bringing the distributed SQL database to the market while serving the needs of both community and enterprise users. This is a unique opportunity to partner with a fast-growing, world-class engineering team to deliver a cloud-native PostgreSQL-compatible database that runs relational apps natively on modern infrastructure platforms including Kubernetes and that too across multiple regions/clouds without losing data integrity.
- Craft the product roadmap by understanding the user needs, market landscape, and Yugabyte principles.
- Conduct user research, write product requirements specifications, develop mockups to distill the research into clear requirements for engineering
- Prioritize and track the deliverables in the product roadmap by continuously assimilating feedback from all stakeholders.
- Contribute to product documentation highlighting the rationale behind features as well as how to use them in real-world use cases
- Communicate product status to sales, marketing and support on feature releases and keep engineering informed on feature requests
- Help with sales and marketing collateral to educate on the product story and features (Website copy, blogs, white-papers, sales decks, FAQs, etc)
- 3+ years experience in data infrastructure or related IaaS products and/or services; AWS and/or Google Cloud background preferred.
- Strong understanding of SQL (PostgreSQL is a plus) databases and the associated ecosystem of ORM frameworks, migration tools and more
- Excellent user and market research skills
- Ability to organize multiple stakeholders towards a common goal
- Strong technical acumen, with a solid understanding of infrastructure principles
- Experience with managing open source products preferred but not required
- BS/BA Degree required
To learn more about the database architecture, company business model and recent news:
- Distributed PostgreSQL on a Google Spanner Architecture – Storage Layer
- Distributed PostgreSQL on a Google Spanner Architecture – Query Layer
- Why We Changed YugabyteDB Licensing to 100% Open Source
- TechCrunch - Yugabyte lands $30M Series B as open source database continues to flourish
- SiliconAngle - Yugabyte raises $30M for its cloud-native distributed SQL database
*Please note we require a writing sample for your application to be considered complete. This writing sample can be a Product Requirements Document or similar document that showcases your ability to distill complex ideas into simple items that can be delivered by another team.
Interview Process: Health and safety remain a top priority for all of our roles. As such, all Yugabyte interviews are held virtually, so we can all continue doing our part with social distancing and containment efforts. Although we are based in Silicon Valley, we hire exceptional folks wherever they are! Our process usually lasts 2-3 weeks, and consists of a phone screen, Zoom interviews including senior leaders.
Full Health Benefits
Monthly Wellness Reimbursement
Internet and Phone Reimbursement
Home Office Setup Reimbursement
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
As an equal opportunity employer, Yugabyte is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.