Embedded Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Zee Aero, a division of Kitty Hawk, is developing revolutionary aircraft concepts, working at the intersection of aerodynamics, advanced manufacturing, and electric propulsion. We are actively building a team of world-class engineers who have experience in fields ranging from power electronics to aerodynamics.
We are currently seeking software engineers to join our software and avionics group, which builds the core fly-by-wire-system that controls our aircraft.
You are mission driven and comfortable working in a small team, with an audacious, loosely-specified plan. You will chip in to do anything and everything to advance our mission as quickly as possible. You figure out what needs to be done, check assumptions, and do it. You are passionate about writing flight code and also about improving our development processes. What is most important is a stated track record and passion for learning.
This position is based in Mountain View, CA, but you will have the option to work from our San Francisco office a few days per week when the project allows.
A partial list of things you will do includes:
- Write code to run on onboard CPUs (from device drivers up to higher level flight code)
- Write requirements, test specifications, and tests (unit tests through full integration tests)
- Build out software-in-the-loop and hardware-in-the-loop simulation/test environments
- Collect sensor data and train higher-level autonomy algorithms
- Drive a variety of other tasks that arise from our certified software (DO-178C) development process, including helping to shape that process
- Work with the guidance and control team to implement flight control algorithms
You will be experienced with some of the below, and interested in learning others:
- BS (MS/PhD desired) in CS or EE or equivalent, with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Embedded software development (preferably with ARM processors)
- C and C++, and some scripting language (Python, Go, etc.)
- Electromechanical systems and sensors (servos, motors, shaft encoders)
- Machine Learning / Deep Learning
- Experience creating and using Hardware-in-the-loop simulations
- Certified safety-critical software (e.g. DO178B/C, or equivalent in non-aviation fields like automotive, medical devices, etc.)
- Highly automated software development processes and modern tools (git, JIRA, continuous integration, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to define and implement processes
- Decision coverage and static analysis tools
- Experience with or passion for aviation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including company equity, medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, company equity, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.