Systems Test Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Zee Aero, a division of Kitty Hawk, is developing revolutionary aircraft concepts, working at the intersection of aerodynamics, advanced manufacturing, and electric propulsion. We are actively building a team of world-class engineers who have experience in fields ranging from power electronics to aerodynamics
We are seeking a Systems Test Engineer to join our Subsystems Group. We design, analyze, manufacture and test avionics, electric motors, power electronics, batteries and other subsystems for unconventional aircraft. The candidate will participate in system concept development through delivery of hardware to aircraft integration, and will be responsible for developing all test plans and procedure to validate performance. These tests would include both acceptance testing of every unit, as well as qualification testing to validate the design in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Design, develop, and validate environmental test procedures
- Work with external and in-house test labs to lead and/or conduct testing activities
- Record & analyze data collected during testing, document results and issues found
- Work with responsible engineers to fix problems
- Design and integrate test fixtures, test setups, data acquisition systems, etc.
- BS in Mechanical, Aerospace, or related engineering degree
- Minimum four years of experience in hardware development or testing
- Familiarity with aerospace development best practices and standards
- Experience writing and executing test procedures for design validation and qualification
- Extensive experience in operating data acquisition systems for data collection of thermocouples, accelerometers, strain gauges, pressure sensors, load cells, LVDT, etc.
- Ability to post process and analyze data to validate system performance
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement
- Experience working with various test lab environments and dealing with outside vendors
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines
- Work in a team-based environment to achieve common goals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with Matlab and/or Python
- Familiarity with testing per RTCA DO-160
- Experience with FARs relevant to general aviation
- Demonstrated interest in aircraft and aviation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.