Senior Product Designer, Design Systems
Creative – 390 - Product Design
At Zendesk, the design culture starts with our three Danish co-founders and flows outward into every aspect of the organization. From the Scandinavian aesthetic of our workspace, to the way we gather, work and create—design is an integral part of everyday life at Zendesk. As a product design team we believe in a collaborative working style with a bias towards rapid prototyping, experimentation, and a strong curiosity for our customers and their needs.
What we’re looking for:
A self-starting senior designer with an impeccable sense of beauty and craft, who will elevate our product’s aesthetics and usability. Your standards are pixel-perfect, with exceptional interaction design and an eye for accessibility, localization, and motion. Detail oriented, you see patterns in seemingly disparate situations. You’re in your happy place when you’re cranking away on components.
In the face of ambiguity, you empathize and collaborate with end-users and stakeholders to create robust systems that are clear and elegant. You understand the value of taking time away from the artboard to focus on relationships and clearly communicate our design system to cross-functional partners. You appreciate the value of rigorous consistency coupled with the ability to remain flexible enough to accommodate critique and change—a Zendesk core value we call “humblident.”
What you get to do every day:
- Be a key player on a small-but-mighty team that makes an outsized impact
- Fill out our product design system, “Garden,” elucidating element usage, patterns & anti-patterns, and visual layouts
- Own components from start to ship to iteration—you know there is no “finish”
- Document your design process and write documentation that helps designers get the most out of Garden
- Pair with creative developers on Zendesk’s component system, where Garden patterns become working artifacts precision-engineered for web usage
- Connect with global design, product, and engineering teams to establish UI pattern usage and best practice
What you bring to the role:
- Deep knowledge of modern, emerging web UI patterns and design tools
- 5–7 years of professional experience designing consumer or SaaS applications
- The ability to easily understand the ramifications of design decisions on a global level
- Enthusiasm for collaborating with our global design and engineering teams
- A keen eye for visual nuance coupled with an empathy for generating accessible UI
- The ability to rationalize UI design choices, along with pragmatism when visual conflicts require alternative approaches
- An understanding of web implementation technologies.
- No coding required, but an ability to converse with developers about implementation details is essential
- A strong visual portfolio that showcases your work, provides details of your project roles, and shows examples of precision component and system designs from inception through design delivery
- Nice-to-haves: previous design systems expert
The best customer experiences are built with Zendesk. Zendesk’s powerful and flexible customer service and engagement platform scales to meet the needs of any business, from startups and small businesses to growth companies and enterprises. Zendesk serves businesses across a multitude of industries, with more than 125,000 paid customer accounts offering service and support in more than 30 languages. Headquartered in San Francisco, Zendesk operates worldwide with 15 offices in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk’s use of your personal information.