Burbank, CA /
About the Role:
We are seeking a Product Counsel to join our fun, fast-growing legal team in Burbank, CA. The legal team supports the general legal needs of the business from the executive team and the board, to day-to-day operations across the organization. The Product Counsel will manage compliance needs across Zest AI's entire transactional and commercial domain.
We’re looking for a diligent and strategic thinker to support, advise and provide guidance to the product, sales, and engineering teams. Have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy.
In this role you will:
- Advise operations, product, design, and engineering teams throughout the product development lifecycle on a broad range of compliance issues related to cutting edge and first impression legal issues.
- Provide pragmatic day-to-day and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests and ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, and high-tech laws affecting our business, including ECOA, Reg B, FCRA, and FTC advertising and marketing guidance.
We are looking for:
- Experience from startups or companies that have grown rapidly
- Collaborate with many teams across the company to help achieve company-wide goals
- Provide ongoing legal training to the Sales team on contractual, privacy, and compliance issues
- Strong communication skills - ability to articulate verbally and in writing, plans, processes, policies, and issues to stakeholders
- Previous product counsel experience Proven ability to learn new areas of law and function independently in a demanding fast-paced environment.
- 6+ years experience at a law firm and/or corporate law department, or in-house management experience
- J.D. degree and a CA state bar member in good standing
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of consumer protection laws and regulations such as Fair Lending, ECOA, Reg B, FCRA, CFPB, Compliance Management Systems, Privacy, Data Security
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Superior written and verbal communication skillsStrong project-management skills, with a proven ability to coordinate across departments and functions
- Ability to build technical processes and work with Product to provide compliance-related requirements
Perks and benefits:
- People – the best part of Zest
- Robust healthcare plans, matching 401K and unlimited vacation time
- Weekly company wide “all hands” meetings giving insight into current business agendas
- Virtual weekly happy hours, sometimes casual and other times with a focus around topics like racial discrimination and LGBTQ+ history
- Monthly employee care packages to make WFH more enjoyable
- All the technology and equipment necessary to get your job done
About Zest AI:
Zest AI has been perfecting AI for consumer lending decisions since 2009. Our Model Management System helps lenders make better decisions and better loans—increasing revenue, reducing risk, and automating compliance. Our mission is to make fair and transparent credit available to everyone and our software creates some of the most inclusive risk models in the industry. Using Zest-built machine learning software, financial institutions can dramatically expand credit access to deserving people with no added risk. Learn more at Zest.ai and connect with us on Twitter @Zest_AI or our Insights blog.
Zest is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages professionals from underrepresented groups in technology and financial services to apply.
Please review our CCPA Policy with regard to applicant and employee personal information here.