Software Licensing Attorney
Burbank, CA /
About the Role:
We are seeking a Software Licensing Attorney to join our fun, fast-growing legal team in Burbank, CA. The legal team supports the general legal needs of the business from the executive team and the board, to day-to-day operations across the organization.
The Software Licensing Attorney will manage Zest AI's entire software licensing domain. This includes intellectual property, software licensing agreements, general corporate contracts, digital asset custody, digital identity, privacy, and open-source software licenses. Drafting and negotiating a wide variety of agreements, maintaining our forms, assisting with our terms of service, and maintaining strong relationships and processes with the internal stakeholders.
You will also advise internal clients on the various legal risks, business strategies, and other issues related to software licensing. We’re looking for a diligent and strategic thinker who will be able to tackle drafting challenges while keeping in mind the objectives of the greater business.
In this role you will:
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior managers and build a trusted advisor relationship
- Provide legal support to the sales, marketing, and technology teams concerning contractual obligations, intellectual property rights, and privacy rules and regulations
- Ensure all relevant departments are educated on intellectual property protection strategies and manage the Company’s intellectual property portfolio
- Assist in the Company’s data and privacy initiatives to comply with global data and privacy regulations
- Regulatory Research, Analysis, and Application to OperationsTranslate company’s technology platform into technical and operational legal requirements, auditing functions, reporting, and mitigation tactics
We are looking for:
- Experience from startups or companies that have grown rapidly
- Stay up-to-date, with the support of legal subject matter experts, on U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with privacy, data security, consumer protection, financial services, and marketing
- Work with teams across the company to negotiate contracts of all sizes
- Collaborate with many teams across the company to help achieve company-wide goalsStrong communication skills - ability to articulate verbally and in writing, plans, processes, policies and issues to stakeholders
- 6+ years experience at a law firm and/or corporate law department, or in-house management experience
- J.D. degree and a CA state bar member in good standing
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project-management skills, with a proven ability to coordinate across departments and functions
- Ability to build technical processes and work with product to provide compliance-related requirements
- Experience conducting compliance monitoring and testing
Perks and benefits:
- People – the best part of Zest
- Robust healthcare plans, matching 401K and unlimited vacation time
- Weekly company wide “all hands” meetings giving insight into current business agendas
- Virtual weekly happy hours, sometimes casual and other times with a focus around topics like racial discrimination and LGBTQ+ history
- Monthly employee care packages to make WFH more enjoyable
- All the technology and equipment necessary to get your job done
About Zest AI:
Zest AI has been perfecting AI for consumer lending decisions since 2009. Our Model Management System helps lenders make better decisions and better loans—increasing revenue, reducing risk, and automating compliance. Our mission is to make fair and transparent credit available to everyone and our software creates some of the most inclusive risk models in the industry. Using Zest-built machine learning software, financial institutions can dramatically expand credit access to deserving people with no added risk. Learn more at Zest.ai and connect with us on Twitter @Zest_AI or our Insights blog.
Zest is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages professionals from underrepresented groups in technology and financial services to apply.
Please review our CCPA Policy with regard to applicant and employee personal information here.