Head of Engineering
San Francisco, California
Zeus - Flawless Stays.
Founded in November 2015 and based in San Francisco, California, Zeus is modernizing the $18b corporate housing industry through its unique strategy of leasing unfurnished, privately-owned homes and converting them into beautifully designed and expertly appointed, full-service homes for today’s global professional. We're passionate about delivering world-class customer service and becoming the most trusted provider of housing for business travelers on Earth. With 1500+ homes spanning the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Seattle, New York (more cities coming soon), we are well on our way to realizing our vision. Zeus has raised $24M in financing from Initialized Capital, Google Ventures, Bowery Capital, and Floodgate. The Zeus founders have all had previous exits and have worked in real estate and technology for over 10 years.
Zeus is looking for a Head of Engineering to lead our engineering team of 15. You will be responsible for ensuring that engineering ships world-class products on time. We plan on aggressively growing our engineering team so you will also need to hire new engineers and manage the team through rapid growth. You will need to balance the day-to-day needs of shipping product with the long-term investments that will help the team scale.
What You'll Do
- Mentor engineers and engineering managers. Create a career ladder for engineering.
- Hire and retain engineers
- Be the face of engineering and communicate with product and business teams throughout Zeus. Constantly iterate on our engineering processes to serve the company best
- Lead architectural decisions
- Identify tech debt and develop a plan for paying it off
- Develop a clear protocol for handling bugs
- Own our testing guidelines and adapt as needed
- Maintain developer productivity/happiness: develop internal libraries, the Zeus way of doing things, and developer tools
- Plan projects with engineers and managers. We have an iterative style so break down big projects into 1-2 week milestones
Who You Are
- 15+ years experience as an engineer
- 10+ years experience as an engineering manager
- You have run teams of 10 to 50 engineers
- You are a servant leader
- You prefer an iterative, fast-paced development style
- You are pragmatic and flexible. You will adapt your process to what's needed by the company.
- You make everyone feel a part of your team
- You are approachable and welcome feedback
- You foster psychological safety
- You are detail-oriented and data-driven
- You have an ownership mentality. You balance what's best for engineering with what's best for Zeus
- BONUS: Experience in a company with extensive internal tools
- BONUS: Experience in an operations-heavy company
- BONUS: Experience with our tech stack of React/Rails/Postgres/AWS