Engineering – Cloud Engineering and Operations /
About Zignal Labs
Zignal was founded in 2011 to help customers instantly see conversations and stories taking place across media. Originally conceived as a tool for political campaigns accustomed to media “war room,” Zignal now helps private and public sector organizations visualize and contextualize the global digital media environment to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems.
Trusted by top global news outlets such as The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, Zignal is frequently called upon by academic institutions and the media to provide data-driven insight into some of the most important and nuanced emerging issues of societal concern - including the COVID pandemic, dis- and misinformation, consumer safety, political polarization, healthcare, digital security, and risk management.
Fully remote, with Silicon Valley roots and team members in over 20 states, Zignal serves customers around the world. Learn more at zignallabs.com.
In this remote role, you will be a part of a DevOps team specializing in tools and automation. The mission of our DevOps team is to break down barriers between Development and Operations to further Zignal Labs' business goals in the most efficient manner possible. Our DevOps team focuses on building a culture & practice that leads to improved product quality, frequent automated delivery and automated infrastructure changes.
As a DevOps Engineer, you will capture Zignal Labs’ entire stack as code and provide tooling that facilitate releases, maintenance and monitoring. To succeed in this position, you’ll need to be familiar with our tech stack while remaining tech agnostic in your search for the best solutions to our engineering challenges.
This position is remotely based and is required to support East Coast hours.
- Cloud infrastructure: Management and optimization of cloud computing resources using Infrastructure as Code and best practices
- Integration engineering: Support the software development life cycle (SDLC) to continuously integrate, test, and build code regularly and efficiently, progressing code from local environments to production with ability to roll back.
- Release engineering: Contribute to unified tooling and methodology for CI/CD and increasing production delivery
- Scaling and performance tuning: Benchmark, scale and tune application and data services based on testing with identified tools or code written in-house (Note: tuning involves systems kernel parameters, data service options, etc. Not software changes)
- Software Configuration Management: Architecting and maintaining environment specific configuration management for applications
- Cloud security: Contribute to security operations for application development and cloud resources, including assessing impact to current systems
- Create and leverage dashboards populated with time series data to capture the state of our applications
- Work cross functionally to support your internal customers
- 7+ years of production experience in either a high uptime or high throughput cloud environment
- Strong team player collaborating with your team members & cross functional team to address the business needs
- 2+ years of AWS experience across a range of services including EC2, Auto Scaling, Lambda, RDS
- Strong problem solver with critical thinking skills
- Self-starter who collaborates well and has a strong sense of urgency to resolve production issues
- Strong communication skills to work and share knowledge with other team members
- DevOps and automation mindset
- Operational experience with Apache products
- Experience deploying and managing big data pipeline systems (Elasticsearch, Spark, Kafka, NiFi)
- Familiarity working with multiple programming languages and runtimes for application containerization and deployment (Java, Scala, NodeJS, Python)
- Systems administration experience with Linux running on AWS services
- Experience administering CI/CD and build tools like CircleCI or AWS CodeBuild, as well as working with artifact storage platforms
- Experience in writing scripts in Python and Bash to support automation efforts
- Experience with container orchestration platforms (Elastic Container Service, Kubernetes) is highly desirable
- Expertise in infrastructure capacity planning, AWS cost management using tools like Cloudhealth
- Comfortable with being on-call and able to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Familiarity with monitoring toolsets like DataDog or Dynatrace
Why join Zignal Labs?
- Competitive salary based on the work you do
- Flexible time off – work with your manager to take the time you need
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Paid parental leave plan
- Professional development and growth programs
- A tight knit, collaborative, and transparent environment to help you succeed
Zignal Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer. No sponsorship is available for this position.