We use desks, computers, and email to get things done at work, but 75% of the world doesn’t. Most people work outside offices, and they rely on outdated tools like SMS trees and walkie-talkies. Zinc brings them a better communication experience and a better working day.
We subscribe to the philosophy of "Operate What You Build," which means that the team that develops a system also be responsible for operating and supporting that system. Ownership of the full development life cycle adds significantly to what software developers are expected to do. Tooling that simplifies and automates common development needs helps to balance this out. This is where you come in - your job is to support development teams by creating and maintaining the infrastructure, tools, etc required to enable developers to take on these responsibilities.
You’ll help shape the platform that powers the Zinc mobile, web and desktop clients. We iterate quickly and release almost daily, so you’ll get to own and ship your own code while you help shape the future of the Zinc API, services, infrastructure, and deployment pipelines. We're moving towards "immutable" infrastructure patterns, so experience with containers, orchestration and cluster deployment will be helpful.
- You are excited about spotting opportunities to make things more better for everyone all the time - and you can develop and execute successful solutions, taking ideas from concept to reality
- You have been successful in designing and developing infrastructure projects and solutions by working collaboratively with software engineering teams
- You are comfortable making technology bets and are excited to learn and explore new technologies
- You are married more to successful outcomes rather than specific technology choices
- You have a solid foundation and knowledge of CS principles such as data structures and algorithms
- You have a systems design mentality with the ability to provide leadership to shape an idea into shippable release
- You have excellent communication skills and open to giving and receiving feedback
What You Will Do
- Own and optimize the release process for mobile, desktop, and web applications
- Deploy, monitor, and maintain services in production
- Partner with engineers to build the right instrumentation, logging, and alerts to ensure regressions are effectively detected and triaged
- Define KPIs for Platform reliability, performance, and health
- Engage with product engineering teams to triage production outages and carry forward action items to improve ongoing reliability
- Participate in the same on-call rotation as software engineers
- Work with AWS services, toolchains and best-practices
- Develop and maintain build pipelines using a CI tool (we use Travis and CircleCI atm)
- Specify solutions to real problems using data and analytics
- Work with existing configuration management tools
- Adapt quickly to changes in business requirements and work in an agile environment.
Useful technologies that are a plus
- Chef, Puppet, or Salt
- Travis, Jenkins, CircleCI
- Tools for Application Performance Management such as Kibana, Graphite, New Relic, etc.
We have a friendly, welcoming environment and a team that cares about diversity and inclusion. We’re funded, which means we can offer competitive salaries and benefits, quality gear, and catered lunches. We’re also still small and growing, so there’s opportunity to grow with us.