Chief Financial Officer
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco-based Zipongo (Eating Well Made Simple) has opened up the "Food Benefits Management" category to tackle chronic disease through nutrition. Zipongo's FBM platform helps users manage their nutrition via the Health (Digital Dietitian), Cooking (recipes, meal planning, grocery delivery, discounts, etc) and Restaurants (menus, restaurant ordering, workplace cafes) tools of our Zipongo Engage platform. In addition, the Zipongo FoodScripts platform helps users manage their disease ("Food as Medicine") and helps risk-bearing healthcare companies and employers drive an ROI vs. drug and traditional-only provider spending.
We are seeking a highly effective, mission-driven, high-integrity and strategic finance executive with strong operations experience for this high-impact role to dramatically scale Zipongo’s impact and value. The Chief Financial Officer and her/ his team will elegantly budget expenses and forecast revenue; guide meaningful and quantitative financial planning; expertly evaluate new organic business model, market segment and M&A growth opportunities; partner with the management team and board to drive smart large scale financing, and play a significant leadership role in the operations, culture and growth of the company.
The Chief Financial Officer will provide corporate leadership in growing Zipongo’s business through effective planning and execution of strategic business objectives. He/she will be responsible for directing Finance and Accounting and will partner with the CEO and Management team to drive business planning and forecasting in conjunction with execution in the business units. The CFO will function as an advocate for openness and inclusion in planning and decision-making and serve as a resource to facilitate the achievement of corporate goals. She/ he will develop business metrics and strategic planning tools that drive results. She/ he will serve as a passionate teacher and mentor and grow leaders at all levels and hold them accountable.
Zipongo has three core business models tied to it’s three product suites: Zipongo Engage for Payer populations (Employers/ Health Plans/ ACOs) is SaaS, Zipongo FoodScripts is reimbursed by health plans, and Zipongo Marketplace is eCommerce. It’s rare to find a CFO with experience with all three business models, so we’re looking for a seasoned CFO with strong operational and accounting experience with at least 2 of the 3 models, and the curiosity and leadership to hire the right expertise on her/ his team overall.
- Key member of the Management Team, Leader and Culture driver in the San Francisco Headquarters
- Develop and drive necessary financial policies, procedures, and internal controls, and play a leading role in directing change initiatives and process improvements
- Role model for the company in communication style, and respect for colleagues, clients, partners and users
- Support investor and board relationship management, including presentation of financial updates at quarterly board meetings, and monthly investor updates
- Lead private and possibly public financings
- Lead strategic M&A
- Oversee Corporate Counsel and Legal team. Oversee Talent and Human Resources team, and continuously improve systems, processes and standards for attracting, retaining and developing amazing people.
- Oversee all Finance and Accounting operations for Zipongo, including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting and Revenue Recognition, and ensure systems and controls reflect “best practice” financial processes
- Support strategy, operations and financial planning with financial modeling and data analysis, that guides business model and market segment evaluation and development
- Develop and manage budgets and long-range financial forecasts
- Optimize procurement, AR and AP processes and collaborate with management to maintain strong, positive and financially beneficial vendor and customer relationships
- Manage the entire month end closing, reconciliation and financial reporting process including account analysis and reconciliation
- Collaborate with sales and sales operations teams to optimize the efficiency and quality of revenue recognition and forecasting
- Establish and maintain documentation of internal controls, policies and procedures related to financial reporting and compliance; ensure trustworthy quality control over financial transactions and reporting
- Manage and develop detailed performance reporting, including analysis of key performance metrics
- Manage audits end-to-end, including vendor selection and ongoing communication with auditors, tax advisors, and 3rd party professional service providers
- Partner with the Data Science and Security team, ensure appropriate and useful integration of Zipongo data across the organization to guide business intelligenc
- Champion high standards for internal processes, ranging from project management (using systems like Asana), RACI accountability modeling, effective meeting and proposal standards (using Narrative approach).
- Experience with, and focus on leveraging automation and software to standardize, speed up and improve the quality of core processes. Ensure appropriate controls are incorporated in the development of new systems with a relentless focus to ensure systems are both efficient and scalable (currently on Quickbooks but open to moving to advanced tools like NetSuite and Adaptive Planning now)
- Manage relationships with outside auditors, banks, investors, analysts, and other advisors
- Ensure compliance with company policies, regulatory requirements, and GAAP, as well as local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Minimum of 5 years in progressive financial leadership roles and preferably more than 8; ideally at least 2 years in a CFO role
- Experience and competence in all financial disciplines is desired with an emphasis on successful fundraising, financial planning and analysis, M&A, and optimization
- A proven track record of building and leading strong, technically sound finance functions is necessary
- Proven success as a savvy financial executive with the ability to aggressively and creatively drive results within dynamic, growth-oriented companies which ideally have high-transaction sales model (e.g. SaaS, e-Commerce, medical expense reimbursement)
- Strategic as well as tactical leadership will be required from the new CFO in setting strategic direction, budgeting, forecasting, and financial modeling
- Strong modeling and financial analytics skills gained within the context of a fast-growing technology business are required
- Strong capital markets knowledge and established relationships are required
- Experience working in software or relative technology industry a must
- A solid track record dealing with investor groups and analysts preferred
- A passion for developing and supporting world-class talent and teams
- Bachelor’s Degree with quantitative training be it investment banking, finance-oriented MBA, consulting, or CPA plus strategy work, or physics/ mathematics/ computer science followed by finance work
- Experience co-leading large ($50M+) private financing(s) with CEO required. Public market and IPO experience a plus, but not required.
- Experience with Quickbooks, Salesforce and more advanced accounting applications such as NetSuite and Adaptive Planning
- Experience with cross-platform integrations and reporting automation
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures including modeling and forecasting
- Prior Big 4 public accounting, venture capital, investment banking and credit facilities experience a plus, but not required
- Experience directly managing and training various levels of the Finance, Accounting, Administration, Legal, Talent and HR business units
- Proven track record of improving, implementing, and documenting processes to support growth, improve quality and reduce complexity
- Ability to gain organizational support for process improvement recommendations using strong planning and communication skills and provide training and coaching to support ongoing improvements
- Prior COO experience also viewed favorably, as long as have also been a VP Finance or CFO, and are primarily interested in leading Finance, Accounting, Administration, Legal, Talent and HR
We expect our team and applicants to pride themselves on the following values:
We believe that experimenting, measuring results, and iterating with data support is the best process for solving hard problems.
We are passionate about having a positive impact on health and having a positive attitude.
We value collaboration, respect, and team over ego. We believe that as a team we can achieve far more than as a group of individuals, and that the best ideas are developed through a collaborative process.
To all recruitment agencies (unless otherwise notified in writing):
Zipongo does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our job alias, Zipongo employees or any other Zipongo company location. Zipongo is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.