Director of Engineering, Decision Systems
Dallas, TX, USA /
Engineering – Decision Systems /
Zippin is looking for an engineering leader for Decision Systems team. In this role, you will lead a team of talented engineers and build highly scalable low-latency event processing systems. Decision Systems sits at the core of the Zippin technology - processing data streams from cameras and sensors to generate accurate receipts and delight shoppers as they walk out of our checkout free stores.
Zippin is a leader in checkout-free technology. We opened one of the first checkout-free stores in the U.S. in San Francisco in the summer of 2018. We offer the best technology platform available to help retailers transform their operations and take advantage of the new opportunities offered by frictionless shopping.
We are looking for a hands on engineering leader who can manage and drive complex projects to take Zippin technology to the next level. You will define, plan and execute on deliverables to build highly available and scalable services to keep stores running efficiently. You must be able to dive deep into code as well as effectively collaborate with other functions such as Operations, and Business Development.
This position can be remote in US, India, or in Ontario, Canada.
- Own architecture, roadmap, and execution for short and long term deliverables
- Provide technical leadership to the team
- Drive initiatives/projects across teams and functions
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Hire, coach, and grow top talent
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related technical discipline
- 10+ years of software development experience, with at least 5 years managing engineering teams
- Expertise in designing and developing high throughput real-time event processing systems
- Strong fundamentals and experience solving complex distributed systems problems
- Excel at planning, and overseeing execution to meet commitments and deliver with predictability
- Ability to hire while ensuring a high hiring bar, keep engineers motivated, mentor and handle performance management
- Programming experience in one of the following: C++, Java, or Python
- Managing teams in a dynamic (start up like) environment
- Experience in stream processing frameworks such as Flink, Samza, and Kafka Streams
- Experience running production services in public clouds such as GCP, Azure, and AWS
- Experience in Retail - Brick n Mortar stores, E-Commerce, Payments, or IOT
There's never been a more exciting time in retail. Frictionless experiences are being demanded by shoppers who are tired of waiting in line and want to zip in and out of their favorite stores.
Zippin provides autonomous checkout for leading brick & mortar retailers. Shoppers just walk into stores, pick up the items they want, and then leave. We use machine learning, computer vision, and sensor fusion to automatically charge shoppers when they walk out—no more checkout lines.
Zippin is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, with additional offices in San Carlos - CA, Toronto - Canada, and India. Industry veterans from Amazon, SRI, and VMware founded the company and raised over $15M in venture funding from Evolv, NTT Docomo, SAP, and Maven Ventures.
Zippin is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we're excited to learn what you can add to our team.