Manager, L3 Vehicle Operations
San Francisco, CA /
Fleet Operations – Alpha Operations /
Zoox has embarked on a highly ambitious journey to develop an autonomous mobility solution, built from the ground up. Vehicle Operations (AlphaOps), within the Fleet Operations organization, supports the testing and validation of SW and HW on our fleet of autonomous robots. As our Vehicle Operations team develops and scales, so does the challenge to understand operations data, ensuring effective communication between development and operations, and informing key decisions to successfully scale the organization.
In this role, you will lead Zoox Level 3 Autonomy Vehicle Operations, with a data-driven and operational mindset, for our testing and validation efforts. In this role you will be an integral member of the Fleet Operations leadership team. This will include the management of Vehicle Operations FTEs and Contractors, whilst identifying, building and driving safety and efficiency processes as it relates to overall vehicle operations for our L3 robots.
- Responsible for the management, hiring and training of high caliber Vehicle Operations personnel, and their career growth within Fleet Operations.
- Manage the execution of the L3 Research and Development fleet, with a focus on operational efficiency and data-driven decision-making.
- Work with other managers and program managers in Fleet Operations for the provision of L3 vehicle support to initiatives across all areas of test and validation managed from the HQ, SF and beyond.
- Drive an excellent safety culture by leading, by example, safe and efficient operations
- In support of the Procurement and Recruiting teams, assist in the management of contract vendors’ ability to meet Zoox requirements.
- Define opportunities to increase efficiency in execution of missions and overall vehicle operations.
- Lead feedback to cross-functional teams to improve SW, system design and safety processes.
- Track tasks to completion and ensure a communication feedback loop.
- Support cross-functional engagements in at all Zoox locations, where necessary, including PMO, Policy, Legal, Infrastructure and other discussions and decision-making.
- Briefing at executive level, up to and including the CEO & CTO
- 8+ years leading the business side of relevant large scale operations alongside engineering teams
- 7+ years of managing large teams, across multiple locations
- Briefing at Executive level
- Metrics-based decision-making
- Management of continuous safety standards and improvement initiatives
- Master's Degree level education
- MBA level education
- Working with cross-functional teams on go-to-market initiatives
- Supported R&D efforts towards commercialization
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $116,000 to $209,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.