Mechatronics Engineer, Sensor Cleaning Performance
Foster City, CA /
Vehicle Development – Vehicle Systems Engineering /
In this position, you will build, test, and optimize the systems that help keep our autonomous driving sensors clean and clear in any weather condition we may experience on the road. As the performance lead, you will work alongside design engineers, sensor experts, and supplier partners to tune and optimize hydraulic and pneumatic systems to achieve the best possible performance and efficiency. Key responsibilities include the design of electromechanical sensor and sensor cleaning assemblies, validation of sensor performance throughout system lifetime in automotive environments, technical supplier management, and supporting manufacturing and service as your systems are deployed across Zoox’s autonomous fleet.
- You will develop simulation and test tools to influence design and extract the best performance from our sensor cleaning hardware systems.
- You will develop system performance metrics and enforce their utilization across internal and supplier-led validation efforts. Collaborate with sensor performance engineers and aero/thermal stakeholders for simulation and full vehicle testing.
- You will develop and prototype new and emerging sensor cleaning methods combining acoustics, optics and ultrasonics.
- You will design and coordinate test plans with sensor performance and vehicle test engineers.
- You will own sensor cleaning system performance on our prototype fleets. Work with our fleet operators and managers to achieve the best possible performance in the many environments we drive.
- Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Mechatronics Engineering or similar. 5+ years industry experience; MS/PhD with automotive experience preferred.
- Mechanical and electrical design and prototyping experience (Solidworks, Catia). Simulation and optimization experience (Matlab, simulink, etc).
- First principles knowledge of acoustics, piezo and ultrasonic electronics, hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Knowledge of automotive sensing modalities, electromechanical behaviors, and integration challenges.
- Knowledge of automotive sensor cleaning challenges and solutions preferred.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.