Software Requirements Engineer
Foster City, CA /
Software – Software Systems Engineering /
The Software Systems Engineering team is responsible for ensuring that all safety-critical software is functionally safe.
In this role, you will help design and manage processes, methods, and other artifacts needed to build safety-critical software, that will revolutionize transportation in the 21st century. Borrowing principles from avionics, automotive, and other safety-critical industries, you will work with software engineers throughout the Zoox software organization, ranging from state-of-the-art AI Perception, all the way to highly-critical RTOS and middleware components.
- Lead various systems engineering activities that are essential for a successful launch of safety-critical software on a self-driving vehicle
- Collaborate with software teams and quickly understand the existing solution, capabilities, and architecture, as well as design choices and considerations
- Systematically organize dependencies, interfaces and other cross-module artifacts
- Derive and manage requirements for an autonomous driving software system and subsystems such as camera perception, sensor fusion, planner, etc.
- Help create architecture and design artifacts that describe complex solutions
- Guide the development of test cases and test procedures that verify the requirements and assist in identifying test methods to achieve very high coverage
- Ensure end-to-end traceability of all artifacts including requirements, code and tests
- Collaborate with the safety team to identify safety requirements, explore redundancy options, and tackle methods to ensure safety goals are met
- Advanced degree in robotics, computer engineering, electronics engineering, aerospace engineering or related fields
- 5+ years of industry experience in robotics, autonomous vehicles, aerospace, automotive or related mission-critical fields
- Developed and managed systems and software requirements documents; interface specifications, test specifications, dependency tracker, etc.
- Working knowledge of standard systems engineering tools (DOORs, Rationale, JAMA, SysML, Polarion, etc.)
- Familiarity with embedded systems, ECU architecture in automobiles, automotive communication interfaces, or automotive software architectures, etc.
- Shipped software products to market in production automobiles, aircraft, spacecraft or other systems that require safety-critical software in embedded hardware
- Experience with interpreting industry safety standards such as ISO26262 and DO178
- Subject matter expertise in at least one of these areas. (1) Sensor perception, (2) Motion planning, (3) Drive policy or behavior, (4) Controls and actuation
- Fulfilled end-to-end traceability from top-level systems requirements, all the way to software source code, test cases, and test results
- Familiarity with ECU system’s architecture in automobiles, automotive communication interfaces, sensor architecture, vehicle control architecture, etc.
- Experience with interpreting and fulfilling industry standards in vehicle automation such as NCAP, SAE, FMVSS, ISO-TC204-standards (ITS), IIHS etc
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.