Embedded Software Engineer - Safety Systems
Foster City, CA
Software – Firmware
As an embedded software engineer on the Firmware Safety Systems team you are responsible for developing safety critical controls and monitoring software for the Zoox vehicle. You will work closely with systems engineers, controls engineers, software engineers, and validations engineers to ensure Zoox delivers a robust and safe product. We are looking for people who are passionate about creating software that never fails through rigorous and detail-oriented development that follows high assurance processes and industry standards.
- Design, develop, and test embedded safety-critical algorithms and software for the Zoox vehicle
- Create software requirements, design documentation, test plans, and other supporting documentation
- Follow and implement high assurance software development processes, such as ISO-26262, DO-178
- Work cross-functionally with controls engineers, systems engineers, validation engineers, and other experts to ensure the safety algorithms and software meet the high assurance requirements needed for autonomous driving
- Contribute to failure and hazard analyses and implement safety mitigations in the control software
- Contribute to all phases of the software development cycle including prototyping, requirements capture, design, implementation, and validation.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience developing highly available mission-critical embedded software
- Strong embedded C/C++ programming experience
- Familiarity with modern software development methodologies and tools (Agile, Git, unit testing, CI, etc.)
- Experience with high assurance development practices and tools (Polarion, ISO-26262, MISRA C/C++, etc.)
- Understanding of vehicle dynamics and automotive sensors and actuators, and communication protocols
- Familiarity with Hazard and Risk Assessment (HARA) and/or Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Experience with existing ADAS technologies, including adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane-following, automated lane changing.
Zoox is a robotics company developing fully-autonomous vehicles and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine-learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We believe the transition to self-driving vehicles requires a combination of elegant vision and uncompromising execution.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.