Software Systems Engineer
Foster City, CA /
Software – Software Systems Engineering /
The Software Systems Engineering team is responsible for ensuring that all safety-critical software is functionally safe.
In this role, you will help design and manage processes, methods, and other artifacts needed to build safety-critical software, that will revolutionize transportation in the 21st century. Borrowing principles from avionics, automotive, and other safety-critical industries, you will work with software engineers throughout the Zoox software org, ranging from state-of-the-art AI Perception, all the way to highly-critical RTOS and middleware components.
- Lead various systems engineering activities that are essential for a successful launch of safety-critical software on a self-driving vehicle
- Interpret industry safety standards such as ISO26262 effectively and identify methods to fulfill those goals in a fast-paced CI/CD software development environment
- Understand existing software architecture and development processes and brainstorm compatible methods for achieving safety goals
- Introduce and manage safety processes for the software organization and guide various teams throughout execution, with strong attention to detail
- Champion the process for qualifying software tools, infrastructure components, as well as 3rd party libraries that are integral to the safe operation of the software system
- Collaborate with the safety team to identify safety requirements, explore redundancy options, and develop methods to ensure system-wide safety goals are met
- Advanced degree in robotics, computer engineering, electronics engineering, aerospace engineering or related fields
- 5+ years of industry experience in robotics, automotive, aerospace, medical devices or related safety-critical and mission-critical fields
- Prior experience working with production software life cycle development process methods (DO178, ISO26262, SPICE or ASPICE, ISO12207)
- Working knowledge of standard systems engineering tools (DOORs, Rationale, JAMA, SysML, Polarion, etc.)
- Have proficiency in C/C++, python, or Matlab programming/debugging skills
- Familiarity with embedded systems, ECU architecture in automobiles, automotive communication interfaces, or automotive software architectures, etc.
- Shipped software products to market in production automobiles, aircraft, spacecraft or other systems that require safety-critical software in embedded hardware
- Experience with interpreting industry safety standards such as ISO26262 and DO178. Developed processes to fulfill these standards, thoroughly weighing various factors that impact project execution
- Performed qualification of software tools as per relevant safety standards
- Conducted and/or participated in safety audits, defended choices and methods used, and prepared compliance report, deviations etc.
- Subject matter expertise in at least one of these areas. (1) Sensor perception, (2) Motion planning, (3) Drive policy or behavior, (4) Controls and actuation
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.