Software Engineer - Safety Systems
Foster City, CA
Software – Motion Planning & Control
As a safety critical software engineer in our planning and control team, you will be responsible for bringing cutting-edge motion planning and control systems towards high standard safety ratings. Not only solving hard problems in motion planning, this is a highly multidisciplinary role that will get yourself exposed to safety-critical system engineering, perception, prediction, and embedded computing. You will lead the effort redefining what cutting-edge AI software can do in high mission-assurance environments.
- Design, develop, and test safety-critical algorithms and software for the Zoox vehicle
- Create software requirements, design documentation, test plans, and other supporting documentation
- Follow and implement high assurance software development processes, such as ISO-26262, DO-178
- Work cross-functionally with perception engineers, prediction engineers, systems engineers, validation engineers, and other experts to ensure the safety algorithms and software meet the high assurance requirements needed for autonomous driving
- Contribute to failure and hazard analyses and implement safety mitigations in the software
- Contribute to all phases of the software development cycle including prototyping, requirements capture, design, implementation, and validation.
- M.S. or higher degree in related field
- Experience developing highly available mission-critical software
- Proficient with C/C++
- Passionate about writing production quality and safety-critical code
- Be able to solve hard problems using first principles, mathematics and physics
- Familiarity with modern software development methodologies and tools (Agile, Git, unit testing, CI, etc.)
- Experience in embedded software development
- Experience with high assurance development practices and tools (Polarion, ISO-26262, MISRA C/C++, etc.)
- Experience with writing functional requirements driven code and familiar with formal verification & validation techniques
- Familiarity with Hazard and Risk Assessment (HARA) and/or Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Experience with existing ADAS technologies, including adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane-following, automated lane changing.
Zoox is a robotics company developing fully-autonomous vehicles and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine-learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We believe the transition to self-driving vehicles requires a combination of elegant vision and uncompromising execution.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.