Functional Safety Engineer
Foster City, CA
Advanced Hardware Engineering – Sensor Engineering
As a Functional Safety Engineer in Advanced Hardware Engineering (AHE), you will be responsible for developing and documenting functional safety requirements for sensor, computer, and control modules and provide guidance in architecture design. In addition, you will perform functional safety analysis on both custom and 3rd party hardware architectures at the module level. You will work closely with systems engineers, design engineers, and test engineers to fully capture functional safety requirements and the capability of our hardware. Your analysis and assessment will be paramount to all other requirements with respect to our hardware.
- Engage with suppliers and review work products to conduct detailed functional safety analysis
- Work with system engineers to develop and document module level functional safety requirementsWork with design engineers to characterize architectures and decompose module level requirements into board level component requirements
- Work with test engineers to design tests to qualify failure modes, quantify failure rates, and execute HIL fault injection tests to validate functional safety models
- Interface closely with the internal safety systems team at Zoox
- Review, approve and provide guidance for architecture proposals and design verification plans
- Lead and participate in quantitative and qualitative functional safety activities that lead to the development of Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessments (HARAs) or Functional Hazard Analysis (FHAs), Fault Tree Analysis (FTAs), Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEAs)
- Collaborative team player with strong written and in-person communication skills
- B.S. or higher degree in Aerospace, Automotive, Robotics, Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical, or Systems Engineering
- 3+ years of work experience with hazard analysis, functional decomposition, validation, and verification
- Analytical skills and passion for writing clear, concise, and verifiable requirements
- System development experience within standards such as: ISO-26262, ARP4754A, ARP4761, DO-178C, DO-254, IEC 61508
- Experience with automotive compute and/or control systems
- Experience with camera, radar, or lidar systems on vehicles
- Experience using requirements management tools such as Polarion (preferred), DOORS or Jama
Zoox is a robotics company developing fully-autonomous vehicles and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine-learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We believe the transition to self-driving vehicles requires a combination of elegant vision and uncompromising execution.
A Final Note:You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.