Foster City, CA
Advanced Hardware Engineering – Firmware
Advanced Hardware Engineering architects, designs, develops and is responsible for successful launch of state-of-the-art hardware systems required for enabling autonomous mobility. The Firmware Engineering Manager is responsible for embedded software development for hardware testing to ensure consistent and robust embedded systems within the Advanced Hardware Engineering team. New challenges arise everyday that require the sharp problem-solving skills of talented and smart individuals. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation.
- Lead the development of embedded software for hardware developed by Advanced Hardware Engineering (AHE) team.
- Go into the intricate details of interdependencies of software/firmware development, EE design, hardware development and testing.
- Develop all phases of the software development cycle including concept, prototyping, requirements, design, implementation, validation, and maintenance related to hardware testing.
- Work closely with the test team who perform different phases of testing
- Responsible for developing end of line testing and validation firmware and deploy them on 3rd party facilities (e.g. contract manufacturers)
- Recruit and train talented engineers to build a world-class team
- Engage and collaborate cross-functionally with hardware engineering, firmware engineering, software engineering, suppliers, and other experts to deliver robust software solutions.
- Manage relationships with 3rd party vendors
- Actively participate in design qualification with reliability and validation team and support design for functional safety
- Bachelor's, Master's of PhD degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience
- 6 + years experience developing real-time embedded software for distributed electro-mechanical systems
- Proven track record on developing firmware on multiple embedded operating systems (Embedded Linux, QNX, SafeRTOS etc.)
- 3+ years engineering management experience though at least one full product development cycle
- Excellent leadership, teamwork , communication, project management, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to function as a technical contributor while managing a team
- Familiarity with modern software development methodologies and tools (Agile, Git, unit testing, CI, etc.)
- Advanced degree in Engineering
- Experience with automotive firmware development
- 10 years' experience in progressively complex engineering and R&D roles
- Experience with NXP, STM and Infineon automotive processors and micro-controllers
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.