Manager, Advanced Hardware Manufacturing
San Carlos, CA
Manufacturing Operations – Advanced Hardware Manufacturing
The Manufacturing Engineering Manager is to provide the leadership, experience, and guidance required to drive the Manufacturing process and production methods required to deliver high-quality, best-in-class build prototype sensor and compute hardware with a high level of reliability. This mission includes management of product configurations, manufacturing process definition and continual improvement of both new and existing products, formulating realistic and acceptable schedules, and continually ensuring product quality. You will apply your expertise and knowledge in mechanical engineering, robotics, automotive, and/or computer science to develop manufacturing processes. The position reports to the Director, Advanced Hardware Manufacturing Operations.
- Support the introduction of new AHMO hardware through development of production assembly/test/inspection procedures, fixtures, and equipment.
- Take ownership of new products during the pilot production phase through successful product releases. This includes driving new product introduction schedules, resolving manufacturability issues, and driving improvements in cost and efficiency.
- Provide product and process DFM (Design for Manufacturing) input to Product Development Engineering to enhance manufacturability and control product cost.
- Provide a bridge between Product Development and Manufacturing in product configuration management
- Methodical troubleshooting and management/optimization of manufacturing operations.
- Construct and adhere to schedule and plans
- Identify opportunities and present solutions to improve process flow
- Prepare and present clear and understandable reports to members of senior management regarding status, progress, issues, mitigation plans, and suggested solutions
- Talent management including coaching, development, and training of engineers and technicians.
- Create an efficient manufacturing assembly flow, specifying and/or refining BOMs, workflow processes, and detailed MPI work instructions.
- Establish and develop concept process, including, estimated standard time and costs
- Provide technical support analyzing and/or performing failure analysis for discrepant production components, assemblies, and field returns.
- Lead/participate in continuous improvement initiatives focused on material cost reduction, capacity enhancement, and streamlining of the supply chain.
- A BS in Engineering or related technical (or equivalent knowledge) and 12 years directly related experience
- Experience in a leadership role
- Strong CAD skillset with a vision for early manufacturing production.
- Enthusiasm for getting “hands-on” with product assembly and production equipment
- Experience design and implementation of manufacturing fixtures and tools.
- Experience following and implementing design control processes.
- Experience with maintaining design history files.
- Design and/or process verification, validation, and testing.
- Accomplished using Lean principles such as lean six sigma, mistake proofing, 5S, GMP
- Experience performing value stream mapping and time studies to improve material flow to increase productivity.
- Experience justifying and implementing robotics to automate processes.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.