Senior/Staff Software Engineer - Localization and Mapping Backend Infrastructure
Foster City, CA
Software – Calibration, Localization & Mapping /
Our Calibration, Localization, and Mapping (CLAMS) team is responsible for building the algorithms and tools necessary for keeping Zoox vehicles well calibrated, always knowing where they’re located within the world, and aware of their environment. Without precise calibration, localization, and mapping our vehicles would be at a disadvantage when it comes to perceiving and reasoning about the surrounding world, and is therefore foundational in enabling results from many other teams across Zoox. This work is critical for scaling autonomous driving in a safe and reliable way. We are looking for engineers who are ambitious and excited about helping Zoox deliver on its goals to deliver autonomous mobility.
- One of the most critical ways a self driving car localizes is using a high definition 3D map. As a Mapping Backend Software Engineer, you will design and develop essential production-ready components of our 3D mapping pipeline. You’ll further automate the scalable backend that produces our large-scale 3D maps, as well as mature our map validation system, test, metrics, and release frameworks. You’ll also enhance our map content interface consumed by downstream customers, such as our own Localization team and the Road Network team. The architecture you build will enable us to easily produce new high-fidelity map content at enormous scales in parallel, while delivering rapid updates to small areas where the map is out of date.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or related field
- At least 7 years of industry experience with C++ 11 or newer
- Passion for code correctness, testability, modularity, and elegant architectures
- Drive to build a highly scalable mapping system
- Experience working with cloud and web technologies (AWS, S3, EC2, SQL, HTML, JS, CSS)
- Experience handling large data sets efficiently
- 8+ years of experience in a related field
- Experience working with geographic data
- Familiarity with SLAM
- Strong mathematical skills
- Experience designing metrics and knowledge of statistics
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $204,000 - $294,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.