Engineering Manager - System Verification and Validation
San Diego, CA /
Software – Embedded Software & Systems Integration /
Autonomous vehicles have some of the largest, most complex software ever shipped in a safety-critical environment. Solving that problem is one of the most exciting technical challenges of our lifetime.
As an Engineering Manager leading the System Verification and Validation team, you will help accelerate our product development by leading a team of engineers to define the approach to establish that the system is sufficiently robust to internal faults, errors and performance limitations. You will collaborate with other teams to define a comprehensive integration and verification campaign with consistent interfaces. The verification campaigns would span across functional, performance, adversarial, stress and stability, conformance and safety focussed campaigns. These campaigns would span across the autonomous vehicle, vehicle platform software, driving AI software stack, rider experience system subsystems. You will hire, grow and mentor engineers/subteams to perform verification activities to test interface performance by fault injection to confirm that all the functional safety mechanisms, both detection and response, work as per the requirements.
NOTE: This role can be based in Foster City, CA or San Diego, CA.
- In this role, you will work with stakeholders across many aspects of testing a self-driving vehicle, such as hardware, software, embedded controllers, systems, hardware in the loop test benches, simulation, unit testing to name a few of the existing testing methodologies.
- You will hire, grow and mentor engineers/subteams to perform verification activities to test interface performance by fault injection to confirm that all the functional safety mechanisms, both detection and response, work as per the requirements.
- Your ability to distill complex systems and root cause issues will be critical to producing a safe and stable vehicle platform.
- You will work on creating opportunities to automate testing and to optimize test processes.
- The team will leverage and enhance existing automation frameworks for system testing and design and build new assets as required.
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Robotics or related field
- 8+ years in combined hardware/software/systems verification and validation efforts.
- Hands-on experience with mechanical, electrical, and software component integration, ability to troubleshoot complex issues during system integration process
- Experience with designing and implementing test strategies that scale across multiple test teams
- Experience developing detailed test plans and writing tests that create V&V traceability to requirements and implementations.
- Experience in triaging and root causing system level issues
- Experience developing automation frameworks/toolchains for automated execution
- Strong organizational and technical communication skills.
- Experience working on safety critical products within automotive, aerospace, or defense.
- Experience with software development and automation tools (Python or similar, JIRA or similar, Docker or similar tools, etc). monitoring and fault diagnosis of test suites
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.