Systems Engineer - Powertrain Functional Safety
Foster City, CA
System Design and Mission Assurance – Systems Engineering - Functional Design & Integration /
Zoox is looking for a systems engineer to take ownership of our functional safety work products around the powertrain functions and components. You will collaborate with world-class hardware, software, and other system engineers to establish end to end traceability of functional safety requirements for safety-related EV powertrain components on an autonomous vehicle. At Zoox, we take systems engineering seriously and know that your efforts will be critical for delivering a driverless robo taxi service at scale.
- Drive quantitative and qualitative functional safety activities that involves development of HARAs, FTAs, FMEAs, and/or FMEDAs
- Define and manage functional safety requirements to prevent and/or detect failures to satisfy System Safety Goals
- Develop requirements and investigate solutions for robust but effective fault detection algorithms
- Perform detailed functional safety analysis on custom and 3rd party hardware
- Work with suppliers of 3rd party hardware to ensure DIAs are in place, tracked and safety work products are delivered/reviewed
- Collaborate with test engineers to develop test plans to verify functional safety requirements, measure coverage, and validate fault handling capabilities
- B.S. or higher degree in Automotive Engineering, Aerospace, Robotics, Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical, or Systems Engineering
- 4+ years of work experience with hazard analysis, functional/requirements decomposition, managing safety requirements and requirements traceability
- Hands-on experience of applying ISO 26262
- Knowledge of components and failure modes of BMS and EV powertrain
- System development experience with related standards such as: ISO 21448, ARP4754, ARP4761, DO-178C, DO-254, IEC 13849, IEC 61508 or equivalent
- Experience with safety-related compute and/or control systems
- Experience in applying the knowledge/skills listed above to autonomous vehicles
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $150,000 to $215,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.