Manager, Mapping Algorithms
Foster City, CA
Software – Calibration, Localization & Mapping /
Our Calibration, Localization, and Mapping (CLAMS) team is responsible for building the algorithms and tools necessary for keeping Zoox vehicles well calibrated, always knowing where they’re located within the world, and aware of their environment. Without precise calibration, localization, and mapping our vehicles would be at a disadvantage when it comes to perceiving and reasoning about the surrounding world, and is therefore foundational in enabling results from many other teams across Zoox. This work is critical for scaling autonomous driving in a safe and reliable way. We are looking for engineers who are ambitious and excited about helping Zoox deliver on its goals to deliver autonomous mobility.
High-definition 3D maps are a critical tool for enabling autonomous driving. As an Engineering Manager you will collaborate in building a highly automated, scalable, multi-modality, 3D mapping system. Our Mapping Data Preprocessing team is at the forefront of the entire mapping process. The team is responsible for ensuring that raw data is sufficient, for estimating initial pose estimates, and for creating and caching some of the fundamental data products needed for creating and maintaining maps. There is a strong need for algorithms to be verifiably robust, operating on diverse data across a variety of environments and conditions without human intervention.
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
- Excellent C++ skills and experience with production software
- Experience with non-linear state estimation / SLAM
- Experience with GPS-INS systems
- Proficiency in data analysis and statistics
- Experience designing metrics and validating algorithms
- Experience handling large data sets efficiently and working with spatial data structures
- Familiarity with camera, lidar, and radar data
- Familiarity with robust estimation techniques
- Experience working with cloud and web technologies (AWS, S3, EC2, SQL, HTML, JS, CSS)
- Experience in database design
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.