Software Engineer - Safety Learnings
Foster City, CA /
Software – Safety /
The Safety Learnings Engineer will be responsible for analyzing field events for potential safety issues, prioritizing safety learnings, and partnering cross-functionally to develop and implement pragmatic requirements or solutions. In doing so, you will work closely with Software (Planner, Perception, Firmware), Operations, Vehicle Engineering, Safety Design, Hardware, and Legal teams to ensure a rigorous, disciplined, risk-based approach.
This position will require the ability to build strong relationships and build stakeholder consensus in working towards novel safety solutions to mitigate risk. A successful candidate will be able to work “in the weeds” closely with other software engineers to identify, triage, and implement changes to safety-critical code. This candidate should also be able to support an on-call incident management process, and contribute to Safety Management System, Safety Planning, Compliance and Policy activities.
- Analyze field events for potential safety issues observed in operations and feed back learnings into the appropriate teams including but not limited to Software, Hardware, and Operations.
- Prioritize safety learnings and partner cross-functionally to develop and implement pragmatic requirements or solutions.
- Work closely with Software/ML engineers to identify, triage and implement changes to safety-critical code
- Partner with other groups to develop safety-related autonomy metrics
- Be part of the on-call incident management process and support other operational safety initiatives
- Assist with formal reviews of the Field Safety Operations program with executive leadership and present data findings and areas of improvement
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field with at least 6-8 years of experience working with safety-critical systems, or a combination of experience and education
- Technical expertise in one or more of the following areas: AI (planning, prediction, perception, etc.), ADAS development, or software safety critical systems
- Proficiency in C++ or other programming languages
- Motivated self-starter with a track record of leading safety initiatives, gaining stakeholder consensus, and always looking to improve on the status quo
- Ability to manage incidents on-call with poise and professionalism
- Working experience in automotive industry or the autonomous driving technology industry
- Have experience on technical standards committees
There are three major components to compensation for this position: pay, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The pay range for this position is $141,000-$231,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The pay range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position. Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.