Mechanical Design Engineer, HMI Systems
Foster City, CA
Vehicle Development – Vehicle Systems Engineering
As an HMI Systems Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be designing a wide variety of user-facing parts and assemblies, for automotive interior and exterior environments, and taking them from concept to mass production. In this highly cross-functional role, you will need to develop requirements, solve challenging design problems, create and test prototypes, and coordinate projects under tight timelines. Our team is rapidly growing, and you'll have the opportunity to be involved in nearly every aspect of the vehicle development lifecycle, from concept packaging to supplier selection, all the way to final full-vehicle assembly line logistics.
If you are excited about solving difficult problems and have a passion for electro-mechanical product design, we want to hear from you!
- Developing in CAD master and detailed part models as well as system interfaces, specifically in CATIA v5.
- Designing metal and plastic parts (formed, injection molded or die cast, machined, extruded, etc).
- Designing with intricate electronic components in mind.
- Designing parts from concept to manufacturing introduction.
- Creating part documentation appropriate for high-volume production methods and inspection methods.
- Working with product lifecycle management software for managing and releasing structured bills-of-materials.
- Managing prototype and production vendors for parts fabrication.
- Fabricating proof-of-concept prototypes and testing to validate feasibility of new designs in bench and system configurations.
- Gathering input from team members and synthesizing inputs into a preferred concept.
- Developing robust requirements and specifications for suppliers to execute towards.
- Managing development work and timelines for multiple external suppliers towards the successful delivery of one or more electromechanical systems.
- Working with cross functional engineering teams to integrate components and electromechanical systems.
- Collaborating with manufacturing engineers and quality personnel to ramp production processes and meet build objectives.
- A degree in Mechanical or Mechatronics engineering.
- 3+ years of experience in mechanical design and drafting; automotive or safety critical industry experience a plus.
- Experience with HMI systems (Speakers, Touchscreens, general electronic assemblies)
- Strong 3D CAD experience, specifically in CATIA v5.
- Strong knowledge of materials properties and applications, as well as fabrication methods.
- Perform analysis to ensure a successful design (stress / strain, thermal, mass, tolerance, etc.).
- Experience bringing a product or assembly through its entire lifecycle from initial concept through to production manufacturing.
- Experience working with various external suppliers and managing deliverables.
- Strong communication, organization, and documentation skills to drive decisions to closure.
- General aptitude with machining, hand tools, and electronics.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.