Foster City, CA
Vehicle Development – Vehicle Systems Engineering
At Zoox, we are redefining mobility through the ground up creation of autonomous vehicles. On the Closures team, we are taking a clean sheet approach to designing kinematic exterior vehicle systems, and have the opportunity to rethink vehicle aesthetic and customer interaction. The Glazings Engineer leads the design and development of transparent glass and polymer technologies for the exterior of the vehicle. You will work within the Closures group on the Vehicle Engineering Team, developing your designs through full product lifecycle - from Studio ideation to production launch.
- Lead research and development of transparent materials- tempered/laminated glass, PC/PC-ABS, polymers, acrylics
- Drive research and implementation of changeable tint technologies- photochromic, electrochromic film materials
- Work with Studio to conceive glazing systems that achieve desired aesthetic and user experiences
- Own design through full product lifecycle - concept, design, validation, and launch
- Validate glazing to meet all vehicle performance and homologation requirements
- BS or equivalent with 5+ years experience in Materials or Mechanical Design engineering
- Experience with glass stack development - specifying materials, strengthening processes, coatings, and interlayer materials
- Hands on experience with glazings validation, failure analysis and manufacturing techniques
- Exposure to development of glazing products in mass production programs
- Deep knowledge of chemically strengthened glass
- Experience with electrochromic, photochromic or similar solar management films (PDLC, SPD, LC etc.)
- Demonstrated leadership in R&D of advanced glass or transparent material technology
- Familiarity with automotive glazing applications, performance challenges, and failure modes
- Patents on relevant materials research or unique product implementation
Zoox is a robotics company developing fully-autonomous vehicles and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine-learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We believe the transition to self-driving vehicles requires a combination of elegant vision and uncompromising execution.
A Final Note:You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.