Manager, Mission Planning
Foster City, CA /
Software – Motion Planning & Control /
The Mission Planner team at Zoox is responsible for generating the high level route our autonomous vehicles will take to transport passengers to their destination. By working closely with our cloud services team to facilitate pickup and drop off requests along with live traffic data among other inputs, and integrating closely with the decision making and trajectory planning and controls teams to allow dynamic planning this team will enable the core ability for our vehicles to choose the best routes through cities and adapt in real time.
We are looking for a leader who is excited to solve the complexities of mission planning in dynamic cities, by contributing novel solutions to the architecture and design, and driven to take ownership of major software components. If you like to work close to the robot platform and enjoy experiencing your developed software in the robot, we would like to hear from you.
- You will build and lead a group of software engineers, leveraging technical and managerial skills to deliver high-impact results.
- You will set the short and long-term technical direction of the team and collaborate on broader, company-wide directions.
- You will coordinate cross-functional initiatives with other teams across Mission Planning, Behavioral Planning, and Cloud Services.
- You will grow the team through hiring activities and guide the continued professional development of team members.
- Hands-on experience developing complex robotic systems or relevant software
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related field
- Prior engineering management experience with complex robotic systems
- Experience in managing team sizes of 5+ engineers and working with recruiting partner(s) to grow a team
- Extensive experience architecting and implementing graph search, route, and mission planning algorithms
- Ability to work on multiple layers of the autonomous driving compute stack
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Fluency in C / C++
- PhD in computer science or related field
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $210,000 to $319,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.