CAE Materials Engineer
Foster City, CA
Vehicle Development – Vehicle Integration Engineering
At Zoox we have set the goal to provide our customers with the highest level of safety while using our fully autonomous vehicles. You will work with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds such as robotics, control, and vehicle engineering, to deliver vehicle performance using virtual tools and methodologies.
You will work with structures engineering within the vehicle integration CAE team, providing FE material cards, model correlation, and optimization. With an aim to reduce weight through improved material cards and processes. Working at a startup gives you the chance to manifest your creativity and make a big difference in the final product.
- Improve and develop existing CAE material models for composites, metals, and adhesives for linear, fatigue and fracture mechanics.
- Define CAE specific material test procedures, and work with laboratories to execute.
- Develop and improve the accuracy of CAE modeling techniques, specifically to composites, aluminum castings, and extrusions.
- Improve the correlation of component and vehicle level assessments related to fracture and fatigue.
- Define optimizations on key structures aiming to reduce weight whilst maintaining performance requirements.
- Engage with academia to support understanding of composites mechanical behavior
- Take ownership of the CAE material and joint database as used in virtual development
- Improve CAE process robustness and correlation of fracture mechanics
- Optimization and weight reduction through material modeling and process.
- Masters-level degree with 10+ years in Materials Engineering within the automotive world
- Detailed understanding of Automotive Systems and typical failure modes
- Experience in running material tests, and material model correlation
- Experience of LS-Dyna, Nastran, Optistruct
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.