Manager - Robot Platform Safety, Core
Foster City, CA
System Design and Mission Assurance – Systems Engineering - Functional Design & Integration /
As a Robot Platform Safety (Core) Manager, you will lead a team of 5+ direct reports who will be responsible for supporting the Trajectory Generation, Trajectory Execution, and Non-motion systems teams with functional safety and systems engineering expertise to achieve a cohesive and consistent approach across the entire platform. You will manage your team and their workload to give appropriate support to all areas while working closely with partner software, firmware, hardware, and systems engineers to define, refine and manage the architecture and requirements (safety concept) for all aspects of the robot platform.
You will have strong technical skills, a deep understanding of traditional functional safety from risk evaluation / management principles to technical solutions, based on ISO 26262 or similar standards. You will also have the leadership and technical direction to apply these principles to autonomous technology. You will demonstrate ownership of projects that you and your team work on, set the quality bar and lead by example on technical excellence and data-informed decision making. You will empower the team through coaching and effective planning in a dynamic environment.
In this role, you will:
- Solve complex technical problems with your team, defining processes and tools to apply functional safety, systems engineering and safety analysis across the vehicle
- Formulate and support prototyping of new solutions, present ideas, anticipate potential objections, and bring parties together to build consensus. You will review architectures, safety requirements and safety analyses of your team
- Work with other teams within PSEA, under guidance of the PSEA manager to apply consistent principles across the entire platform and ensure consistency of requirements at interfaces
- Work with internal stakeholders and external suppliers to develop practical and pragmatic solutions to achieve the desired objectives, requirements and integrity levels. You will also work with stakeholders to continually improve the risk management process and safety methodologies
- Capture and evaluate residual risks according to the Zoox risk management process.
- Be responsible for personnel development, coaching and performance management. You will also be involved in strategic planning, recruitment and growth of your team to support future platform developments and program milestones
- B.S. or higher degree in Engineering or Science, including Robotics, Computer Science, Aerospace, Automotive, Electrical, Mechanical, Systems Engineering, or other related fields. 8+ years of work experience with complex, safety-related systems (depending on qualifications and other factors). 2+ years in a safety management role.
- A solid systems engineering foundation with practical experience using requirements management tools such as Polarion (preferred), DOORS or Jama and in applying model based systems engineering (MBSE)
- Hands-on experience of defining, applying and coordinating safety analysis techniques such as HARA, FMEA, FTA in safety-related fields
- Expertise in specific ISO 26262 application of functional safety
- Have experience launching a product or delivered a technology into customers hands
- Experience developing safety-related hardware or software across full development cycle
- Experience in working with complex architectures and boosting safety integrity of non-safety components
- Experience in analyzing and applying safety of the intended functionality (SOTIF)
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $195,000 to $245,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.