Senior/Staff Systems Engineer - System Safety
Foster City, CA
System Design and Mission Assurance – Systems Engineering - Safety /
Zoox is on an ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous mobility solution for cities and deploy such a robotaxi solution safely. As a System Safety Engineer at Zoox, you will have the opportunity to work closely with cross-functional teams to continuously identify opportunities to improve, adapt, and apply the System Safety engineering process to guide and ensure the safe deployment of Level 5 autonomous driving technology. You will have the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of projects that will help mature Zoox autonomous systems.
In this role, you will:
- Contribute to the definition, development, and evolution of the Safety Case of Zoox technology ahead of every development milestone, in close collaboration with cross-functional teams including other Systems Engineers, Software and Hardware Engineering, Vehicle Engineering, User Experience, Policy, Legal, Operations, etc.
- Perform system-level hazard analysis to identify potential safety issues that may affect the safety of the autonomous driving vehicles.
- Develop and improve system architecture to prevent or mitigate identified potential safety issues.
- Identify and manage safety requirements.
- Develop and support verification and validation tests.
- Ensure end-to-end traceability and produce a close-loop Safety Case.
- M.S. or higher degree in an Engineering discipline or Computer Science
- Minimal 7 years of relevant professional experiences in the fields of System Safety or Systems Engineering
- Have performed hazard analysis using one or more of the following methods: System Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA), qualitative or quantitative Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP), Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), etc.
- Collaborative team player with strong written and in-person communication skills
- System Engineering or System Safety experience with autonomous driving systems
- Hands-on experience applying relevant industry safety standards such as ISO 26262, ISO 21448, DO-178, etc.
- Certification for relevant industry safety standards
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $171,000 to $282,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to email@example.com or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.