Validation Engineer, Seating & Passive Safety
Foster City, CA
Vehicle Development – Vehicle Systems Engineering
Support the Trim & Lighting team with validation testing of the vehicle’s seating and passive safety systems. Aid in the design, development, and validation of component and vehicle level mechanical, electrical, and environmental test procedures. Participate in detailed design reviews to drive definition and validation of proper seating, airbag, and seat belt systems behaviors. Work with the vehicle design engineers as well as external suppliers to develop and validate the performance of the components and systems.
- Review and support supplier’s component DVP&R’s.
- Create additional component level test plans and allocate sample sizes.
- Create system level durability test requirements and corresponding test plans.
- Work with external and in-house test labs on testing activities.
- Aid in the execution of vehicle level environmental tests according to Zoox test plans and test procedures.
- Record & analyze data collected during testing.
- Conduct component inspections after test completion to discover issues generated during testing.
- Write test reports to document the results of testing and to communicate issues found during testing.
- Create “concerns documentation” for corrective action resolution of issues identified during testing.
- Drive closure of open issues with the assistance of design engineer(s).
- Conduct countermeasure validation testing to approve corrective action resolution.
- Ensure the systems meet their appropriate FMVSS requirements.
- Provide design recommendations based on testing results.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (Other Disciplines considered with experience) with a minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Background or previous work experience with seating and/or passive safety testing is preferred.
- Experience in reliability and durability testing, including environmental and climactic testing is desirable.
- Candidates must have the ability and willingness to travel (Minimum of 20%).
- Experience in operating data acquisition systems for data collection of vehicle instrumentation with thermal couples/accelerometers/strain gauges/pressure sensors/load cells/LVDT/etc. is desirable.
- Experience working with various test labs with broad contacts in the field of automotive or dynamic testing.
- Ability to perform root cause analysis on test anomalies.
- Previous experience with high-speed video analysis is preferred.
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle vehicle programs to include DVP&R and DFMEA.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.