Thermal Controls Engineer
Foster City, CA
Vehicle Development – Vehicle Integration Engineering
As Thermal Controls Engineer you will be responsible to develop the controls strategies that bring the thermal system to life and to refine those controls to a customer-ready state. You, along with the rest of the Thermal Systems Integration team, are responsible for keeping people and components in their ideal operating temperature, even in demanding environments. The models, estimators and, algorithms you develop will be an important part of making Zoox robots work day in and day out over their lifespan and directly impacting our customers with a comfortable and inviting cabin. You will take controls from concept to Simulink code and participate directly or indirectly in the implementation into the firmware, and then test and refine those algorithms through physical testing.
- R&D strategies for control algorithms, models and estimations for cabin HVAC, battery, powertrain and specialized components to deliver never before seen customer experience and business value
- Work closely with the Thermal System Design team, Firmware and Vehicle Integration engineers to implement, test, and debug models, estimators and algorithms
- Work cross-functionally to develop the full suite of thermal sensors and actuators to enable the desired functionality and control
- Create new Zoox IP in thermal and HVAC control systems
- Experience in linear systems analysis, state estimation, and controller design
- Understanding of thermodynamics and heat-transfer principles, of motion control systems, and electric propulsion
- Fundamental understanding of thermal system sensors and actuators like chillers, evaporators, coolant and refrigerant pumps, radiators, fans, actuators and the like
- Proficiency in creating dynamic models of thermal, mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems
- Ability to work with physical test assets, like buck or actual robots, to evaluate and refine controller designs
- Experience with model development and data analysis in Matlab/Simulink
- 3+ years experience in controls system development, modeling, and implementation
- MS or PhD in ME, EE, Mechatronics or equivalent
- Experience with control of non-linear systems
- Previous experience with automotive thermal management development
- Capability to deliver high-quality code in an embedded environment
- Experience with code development in C/C++, or code generation and review using automated means.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.