Senior Mechanical Engineer, Charging Infrastructure
Foster City, CA
Vehicle Development – Vehicle Systems Engineering /
The Powertrain Engineering team at Zoox is responsible for the design, development, and production of an electric powertrain specifically tailored for our autonomous mobility service. Our team has an action-biased culture marked by integrity, humility, competence, and passion for the Zoox mission and the systems we design. We are building real products here and are looking for doers to join us.
Together with the team, you will be responsible for the design, development, and module leading of Zoox Off-board Charging Infrastructure including Zoox’s first-of-its-kind DC charger HW, charge dispensers, etc. Lead and drive supplier engagements, and manage the engineering development to deliver a novel system that enables an Autonomous Electric Vehicle to charge which is very integral to Zoox operations.
- You will be the design responsible engineer for off-board DC charging infrastructure components and assemblies including the Zoox first-of-its-kind DC charger HW, charge dispensers, and associated infrastructure.
- You will manage supplier engagements specific to all aspects of Charging Systems and Infrastructure development
- You will work on product design and development from proof of concept prototypes to serial production
- You will oversee FMEA, test, and validation activities ensuring proper execution and timely completion
- You will manage system-specific BOM, documentation, approving build processes, and supporting quality and cost engineering
- You will manage projects to ensure high-quality engineering and on-time completion
- You will collaborate with both Tier 1 suppliers and internal teams on various system-level component specifications and designs.
- Passion for electric vehicle HV battery charging, charging infrastructure, autonomous mobility, and large-scale fleet charging solutions, experience with EV charging standards and design for UL2202, UL2231, UL347A, etc.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or any other relevant engineering discipline.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in automotive design with demonstrable production implementations
- Deep experience with 3D design and PLM tools, CATIA 3DX or CATIA V5, design release and a strong product lifecycle management
- Experience with and knowledge of manufacturing processes and procedures relating to HV assemblies
- Working knowledge of electrical principles and basic electrical circuits and components
- Project management experience including cross-functional collaboration with quality, manufacturing, procurement
- Electronics enclosure design experience including ingress protection and thermal management
- Experience with high voltage and low voltage system design, creepage, clearance design, etc.
- Experience with UL Listing, NEC, and AHJ requirements for charging infrastructure design for public installations
- Knowledge of the design and operation of EVSEs
- There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $155,000 to $255,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
- Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.