Software Engineer - Simulation on Vehicle Hardware
Foster City, CA
Software – Simulation
Zoox's Simulation team is building the world's most advanced simulation engine and framework for autonomous vehicle technology. As a simulation engineer, you will collaborate closely with several other engineering teams to build real-time simulation tools and scenarios in a variety of domains including motion planning, mapping and localization, sensor technology, computer vision, and machine learning. You will work on Zoox's advanced simulation framework developing key features including but not limited to accurate LIDAR and radar simulation, high-fidelity graphics rendering, content creation tools for realistic virtual cities, and scenario creation and execution pipelines for scalable and verifiable vehicle testing.
Your role in real-time simulation will help ensure the Zoox codebase is safe, reliable, and performant, by implementing automated tests and measuring performance on vehicle-representative hardware before it reaches the vehicle.
- Develop new real-time simulation scenarios to test the Zoox main-AI stack performance
- Work closely with our HIL SW Validation team to ensure that our vehicle software can be validated in simulation
- Help bring up and maintain simulation hardware and integrate it with our bespoke testing machines
- Interact with software and engineers across the company to resolve subsystem specific issues
- Strong knowledge of C++ and experience in large codebases
- Solid knowledge of 3D geometry and Linear Algebra
- Ability to optimize simulations for performance
- Comfortable in Linux and Windows development environments
- Strong communication skills and ability to make arguments via data
- Ability to understand complex hardware/software systems and interactions
- Interest in real-time simulation and its challenges
- Experience with Continuous Integration processes
- Experience in working with internal “customers”
- Experience w/ UE4
- Experience w/ sensor simulation
- Rendering experience
- Passion for autonomous vehicles or mobile robots
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.