Director, Autonomous Fleet Operations
Foster City, CA
Fleet Operations – Alpha Operations
In this role, you will drive major initiatives in support of key strategic operational objectives. You will be responsible for rapidly maturing an organization in number and in structure whose primary responsibility is the safe, effective, and efficient testing of Zoox’s autonomous vehicles, the measure of which is constantly evolving.
As the director of the entire Vehicle Operations organization, you will be responsible for its culture, operational procedures and processes, strategy, interdepartmental relationships, and administrative affairs (e.g. compensation, leveling, contractor relations, and other people matters). You will be responsible for the analysis, understanding, and presentation of the logistical, operational, and financial parameters of vehicle and personnel resources to the Executive Office, to lateral organizations, and to the Vehicle Operations team itself. You will be held accountable to the organization’s performance in the criteria of testing execution and adherence to Zoox’s high safety standards.
You will serve as the senior representative of the Vehicle Operations group and work closely with the Software and Hardware development groups, Product, People & Culture, Strategy, Finance, Policy & Regulation, and the Executive Office. You will define, drive, and support Vehicle Operations programs, projects, and teams in their efforts to achieve their goals, milestones, and objectives. You will plan and execute time-sensitive key strategic and tactical decisions and support the Executive Office by framing decisions and their consequences and ensuring that information is complete and clearly communicated. Ultimately, you will be responsible for ensuring that the actions and results of Vehicle Operations at Zoox for today and tomorrow are executed on time and within budget.
- Overall leadership and management of Zoox’s Vehicle Operations
- Work closely with decision makers to identify, recommend, develop, communicate, and execute operational solutions in support of Zoox’s major initiatives
- Work with cross-functional leaders in engineering, finance, and strategy to define, track, and project resource requirements (e.g. headcount, budget, vehicles, facilities)
- Execute key decisions necessary to scale Vehicle Operations in accordance with Zoox’s testing requirements and high safety standards
- At minimum, 5 years of leadership experience10+ years’ of progressive fleet management experience, including asset acquisition, asset management and specifications
- Thorough knowledge of fleet management legislation and best practices
- Proven operational and technical expertise in aspects of asset management
- Strong analysis, strategic visioning, cross-functional and change management skills
- Experience working in the automotive or trucking industry
- Experience in the autonomous vehicle industry
- Experience managing contingent workforce labor
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.