Quality Director, Vehicle Platforms
San Carlos, CA
Manufacturing Operations – Quality
As the Quality Manager, you will be in charge of all aspects of quality within the vehicle platform team, partnering with managers, supervisors, and employees of product design, process engineering, manufacturing, and procurement departments, in order to ensure that every phase of our product development cycle meets adequate quality requirements. This person provides leadership and commitment within the vehicle platform for the promotion of a working environment focused on quality.
At Zoox, you will collaborate with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds in areas such as A.I. and robotics. You’ll master new technologies while working with us on electrical and hardware development in your area of expertise to create and refine key systems and move Zoox forward.
Working at a startup gives you the chance to manifest your creativity and highly impact the final product.
- Drive and ensure quality processes (DOE, PPAP, APQP, D-FMEA, P-FMEA etc.) from concept design, industrialization, and process engineering through to manufacturing/operations
- Define, implement, and manage internal audits, in-process and final inspections and tests, analyzing results and providing feedback to solve anomalies and drive quality performance improvement strategies and actions
- Liaise with Procurement team in order to define quality requirements for purchasing processes
- Participate in long-term planning and management of contractor/supplier sourcing, evaluation, qualification, and development programs
- Establish quality and reliability standards by studying product and service requirements with other members of management (mainly design, procurement, manufacturing, and service)
- Establish, in collaboration with design and manufacturing engineers, the quality plan for every product manufactured in-house or by suppliers
- Establish incoming materials quality standards; conferring and negotiating with suppliers; devising testing methods and procedures
- Manage Supplier Quality Engineers (SQE) defining tasks and targets for the different products and supplier processes
- Engineering degree (education focused on quality is preferred)
- 10+ years of experience within the automotive industry with strong technical awareness and understanding of product/process issues (experience with manufacturing processes of chassis components, suspensions, batteries, powertrain, gearbox, sensors, or other electric/electronic components for automotive applications is preferred)
- Strong knowledge, understanding, and experience in IS09000 and TS16949 automotive quality and manufacturing systems
- Strong knowledge of quality and problem solving tools (proficient familiarization with APQP, PPAP, FMEA, DOE, SPC, 8D; Six Sigma/Lean Manufacturing expertise is an advantage)
- Ability to plan, prioritize, set goals, and manage multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to act independently, assume responsibility, and drive processes within a cross-functional complex environment
- Flexible; willing to travel
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.