Senior Tooling Manager
Foster City, CA
Procurement & Strategic Partnerships – Direct/Indirect Procurement
Zoox is seeking an experienced, action-oriented, and hands-on Senior Tooling Manager to ensure the tooling (forming dies, injection molds, casting molds, etc) used to build our vehicle fleet are cost effective, high quality, and developed within sufficient lead time. The role will include developing bottoms up should-cost models for tooling, evaluating supplier tooling quotes, validating the manufacturing methods of tooling, and identifying and managing preferred tooling vendors.
- Responsible for successful procurement of tooling required for new product development parts
- Analyze cost of tooling to ensure cost-effective procurement strategies
- Identify, justify, and implement cost reduction projects to reduce cost of vehicle components
- Collaborate with Design Engineers, Process Engineers, and Quality Engineers to develop and improve product designs for robust components.
- 6+ years of hands-on experience involving specification, procurement, and qualification of tooling components
- Top Bachelor’s degree required, Master's preferred
- Excellent communication skills with ability to influence cross-functional stakeholders, including C-level, engineering, legal, finance, manufacturing, and logistics
- Demonstrated experience in achieving results in the areas of responsibility described above
- Experience collaborating with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing groups
- Manage tool design, fabrication, process development, and qualification onsite at various Tier 1 suppliers
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Work, Excel, Outlook, Project)
- Ability to perform financial analysis and cost justifications
- Proficient in the use of CAD (SolidWorks)
- Proficient with the use of Design for Manufacturing, SPC, DOE and Six Sigma techniques
- Experience with PVC processing & molds
- Experience in managing complex development programs with overseas tooling vendors
- Ability to work autonomously, with little direction
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.