Mechanical Test Engineer, PVT
San Carlos, CA
Manufacturing Operations – Advanced Hardware Manufacturing
As a PVT Test Engineer, you will work within a multidisciplinary engineering team to build / test prototype sensor and compute hardware in accordance with industry standards, best practices, and requirements. We are looking for a motivated, curious, and passionate engineer who will be responsible for developing and implementing manufacturing test processes, develop test fixtures, troubleshoot RMAs, maintaining and creating test documentation, and provide DFx feedback to drive product reliability and performance improvements. You will apply your expertise and knowledge in mechanical engineering, robotics, automotive, and/or computer science to develop new products and technologies.
In this role, the test engineer will decipher and convert product performance specifications into a workable test solution. The candidate will participate in creating automated and manual test plans, perform hands-on device measurements, product characterization and optimization, bench and automation troubleshooting. Candidate will then analyze, summarize and present data reviews which will serve as a basis for product acceptance.
- Support the introduction new AHMO hardware through development of production test/inspection procedures, fixtures, and equipment.
- Manufacturing Test Engineering Group's Key Responsibilities:
- Design and development of custom test fixtures (PCBAs/Assemblies), test requirements, PCBAs, and equipment to support hardware test. Test fixture bring up, characterization, validation, and deployment to AHMO Production and CMs.
- Work closely with R&D team to ensure test equipment/software/processes for new designs meet specifications for low volume manufacturing environment and to resolve issues encountered during test.
- Analyze manufacturing yield issues and field failures to determine hardware test coverage. Drive issues to closure and use lessons learned to implement preventive measures and to define manufacturing test strategy for new products.
- Provide technical expertise to Manufacturing and Suppliers to ensure test readiness for new products and to resolve any test engineering-related issues through the life of the products.
- Perform failure analyses during Production/RMA processes and participate in continuous improvements in product manufacturability and testability, contributing to the production of the highest quality products.
- Provide product and process DFM (Design for Manufacturing) input to Product Development to enhance manufacturability and control product cost.
- Write test plans and drive test coverage and DFT (Design For Test) based on product requirements.
- Provide training and support to engineering technicians to expand testing capacity.
-Acceptance Testing: To ensure every item shipped was checked for key functions
-Burn-In Testing: To weed out fab defects
-Test Automation: To reduce test time and get repeatable results
-Manufacturing Data Analysis: Identify trends over time and batch variations
-Failure Analysis: Deep dive to figure out root cause and feed it back to mfg. or design
- 3+ years’ experience as a manufacturing engineer supporting product with significant electromechanical content.
- BS in ME or EE.
- Strong CAD skillset with a vision for early manufacturing production.
- Enthusiasm for getting “hands on” with product assembly and production equipment
- Experience design and implementation of manufacturing fixtures and tools.
- Experience following and implementing design control processes.
- Experience with maintaining design history files.
- Design and/or process verification, validation, and testing.
- Experience justifying and implementing robotics to automate processes.
- Cross-functional expertise: EE/ME/Optics
- Software: Write automated tests (example: in Python)
- Statistics: Analyze data to understand trends, outliers etc.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.