Foster City, CA /
Manufacturing Operations – Prototyping /
As Zoox’s Prototype Director, you will lead, guide, and grow a talented prototype team that is dedicated to engineer, manufacture, and assemble prototype components, vehicles, test jigs, and equipment in a very cross-functional environment to achieve Zoox’s mission.
A proven strong communicator, you will interface with all levels of the organization, serving as the point of reference for all prototype production. You will contribute to and expand upon the company’s prototype strategy, in alignment with the Executive team.
Reporting to the VP of Manufacturing Operations, you will oversee the daily operations of a physically distributed prototype team, coordinate and direct other prototype leaders, manage headcount and financial budgets, define production schedules ensuring they meet the planned deadlines.
- Define and execute the strategic resource and production plan, in line with the scope of the Zoox Prototype Team, including but not limited to new investments
- Establish a culture that makes the safety of our crew and customers the number one priority. Model workplace safety (including risk analysis) through training and be accountable for its daily practice
- Plan, prepare, and refine headcount, OPEX, and CAPEX budgets based upon defined business needs
- Monitor and maintain the targeted Quality standard correcting the process deviations and establishing metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs), to include the overall machinery maintenance plan and execution
- Application development of all necessary IT systems (PLM, ERP, MES, QMS) to support the prototype manufacturing processes
- Drive and report out all relevant information to the Executive team regarding prototype production
- Identify opportunities to scale processes, remove bottlenecks and roadblocks
- Hire, mentor, develop and retain talent.
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Management, Engineering, or related field
- At least 15 years of experience in the prototype manufacturing field with increasing levels of responsibility, including direct people management of large teams (50+)
- Demonstrated familiarity with all major fabrication and manufacturing technologies, such as milling, high precision boring, turning, additive manufacturing, welding and soldering, fiber-reinforced plastic processes, wiring harness production, assembly processes
- Familiar with all the industrial metallic and plastic materials used in machining, fabrication, and 3D printing
- Deep understanding of automotive components and systems
- Strong understanding of GD&T, detailed engineering drawings, assembly instructions, and electrical schemes
- Expertise in machine tools, jigs, and equipment for manufacturing
- Strong knowledge of Manufacturing Quality principles and practices and how they apply to prototype production
- Experience with a shop floor layout and process flow optimization
- Experience with Production Systems, Kaizen, 5S, Problem Solving methods, Value Stream Mapping or other Lean methodologies
- Experience in interactions with external suppliers to develop and coordinate complex prototype projects
- Strong interpersonal and management skills
- Highly effective communicator and collaborative leader
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $221,000 to $331,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and/or the World Health Organization. In addition, employees who are eligible for a COVID-19 booster vaccine (“Booster”) will be required to receive a Booster. Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.