Foster City, CA /
Legal – Legal /
Zoox is looking for a patent attorney to become part of our legal team. In this role, you will help develop Zoox’s IP portfolio across a wide range of technologies, which will require engaging with engineers, reviewing patent applications, and advising on patent strategy. As the second dedicated IP hire, you will have the unique ability to work with, and learn from, a broad range of technology groups from artificial intelligence to vehicle engineering. In addition, you will have the opportunity to participate in not only patent-related strategies, but also participate in the strategy behind all of Zoox’s IP, including trademark, trade secrets, copyright, and domain names.
In addition to the qualifications below, you should be naturally inquisitive, enjoy learning, and have the ability to develop a great rapport with the engineering corps. This role will report to Zoox’s Senior Counsel for IP.
- Engage with employees to promote invention submission and understand areas to be protected
- Recommend patent strategy
- Review drafts of patent applications and office actions
- Review open source license requests
- Provide IP-related trainings to various engineering and business groups
- 3-6 years drafting and prosecuting patent applications
- Member in good standing of at least one state bar (CA preferred)
- USPTO Registration Number
- A degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or physics
- Good oral and written communication skills
- 6+ years of patent prosecution experience, including in private practice at a law firm
- An advanced technical degree in the field of computer science, electrical engineering or physics
- Practical application in a technical field (previous employment in the technology)
- Working knowledge of modern neural network approaches to machine learning
- Experience in international patent prosecution and strategy
- Experience in advising on trademark strategy
- Experience reviewing open source licenses and advising on open source strategy
Zoox is a robotics company developing fully-autonomous vehicles and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine-learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We believe the transition to self-driving vehicles requires a combination of elegant vision and uncompromising execution.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.