Senior Systems Engineer - Localization and Pose
Foster City, CA /
System Design and Mission Assurance – Systems Engineering /
Zoox's System Design and Mission Assurance (SDMA) team is looking for a senior systems engineer who will be responsible for developing a technical solution for the functional safety and performance characterization of our localization system. In this role, you will work closely with software, hardware, and systems engineers to define the approach for localization error analysis and fault handling using both analytical and simulation methods. You must have strong technical skills, demonstrate intrinsic ownership of projects you work on, and set the bar for technical excellence and decision making.
- Solve complex technical problems related to localization, calibration, and safety of the vehicle
- Formulates and prototypes new solutions, presents ideas, anticipates potential objections, and brings parties together to build consensus
- Establish an approach to validate the ground-truth model, define/build the tools as necessary, and empower the team to deliver
- Perform or review detailed simulation and analysis of the localization system and fault monitors
- Proficiency with software development process, able to contribute and provide in-depth code review for analysis tools, probe for issues/improvement
- Work with design and hardware engineers to characterize architectures and support system requirement decomposition into component requirements
- Review, approve, and provide guidance for architecture proposals and design verification plans
- Collaborative team player with strong communication skills
- BS or higher degree in robotics, computer science, aerospace, automotive, electrical, mechanical, or systems engineering
- 8+ years of work experience with complex robotic systems
- Experience with localization systems and algorithms or data fusion
- Proficiency for scripting and/or programming language: C++, Python
- System development experience within standards such as: ISO-26262, ISO-21448, ARP4754A, ARP4761 (or other regulated fields)
- Experience certifying safety critical hardware and software across full development cycle
- Experience with automotive compute and/or control systems
- Experience with IMU, cameras, lidar, or wheel / motor speed sensors on vehicles
- Experience using requirements management tools such as Polarion (preferred), DOORS or Jama
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.