Sr. Engineer, Interior Safety Systems
Foster City, CA
Vehicle Development – Vehicle Systems Engineering
As the Sr. Engineer, Interior Safety Systems on Zoox’s Vehicle Engineering Team, you will be responsible for design, release and launch of a new generation of passive restraint systems for Zoox vehicles. You will utilize your expertise to develop, engineer, and integrate restraint performance and delivering the complete systems, rather than just components as you work with a lean and agile team.
- Design of automotive component parts in CATIA V5/V6.
- Develop and execute passive restraint system requirements.
- Participate in the iterative process with the Zoox engineering team to align on packaging, design, styling studio surfaces, and manufacturing processes to deliver the optimal balance of form vs. function vs. cost
- Implement processes and material selections to achieve world class durability, reliability and fit & Finish of automotive restraint systems.
- Complete and release CAD data of seatbelt assemblies and airbag modules in the sub-system and create detailed design solutions, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required.
- Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design.
- Collaborate with key restraint system and restraint module suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Work closely with vehicle safety integration to align subsystem performance meets overall legal requirements and safety performance as per VTS – vehicle target specification.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams within the Zoox Vehicle Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Procurement groups to ensure the restraint systems manufacturing and assembly feasibility and serviceability.
- Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&R’s.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (Other Disciplines considered with experience) with a minimum of 10 years of experience in automotive restraint systems component and subsystem engineering (OEM or Tier I level)
- Technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production and 3D modeling proficiency in CATIA V5 or the equivalent in experience.
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment with a high number of unknowns.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering.
- Experience with restraint modules or restraint subsystems testing and data analysis.
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 2 full lifecycle vehicle programs to include DVP&R and DFMEA.
- Experience Managing technical suppliers
- Demonstrated an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints.
Zoox is a robotics company developing fully-autonomous vehicles and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine-learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We believe the transition to self-driving vehicles requires a combination of elegant vision and uncompromising execution.