Head of Core Services
Core Services Tribe – Engineering
We’re empowering people to FeelGood about their money.
We’re been on this journey since 2004, when we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. When it comes to money, we think everyone deserves a fair deal, so since we launched, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers to take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
Our journey’s always evolving and we’re now launching a bank. But a different type of bank – one that empowers its customers to take control of their finances and FeelGood about their money.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa.
This is a leadership role that reports directly to the Chief Technology Officer.
The person in this role will be instrumental in ensuring we continue to provide an unrivalled customer experience.
What’s Core Services?
At Zopa, the Core Services tribe is responsible for building critical pieces of our technology platform. As we launch our banking products, there are a lot of things that make more sense to build once, so all of our teams can be efficient and just build on our platform rather than reinvent the wheel.
We cover a broad range of domains. Namely: we ensure all products can record financial transactions in a consistent way so the whole financial operation of the bank can run effectively; we build a centralised view of our customers, to make it easy for product teams to make important decisions (such as whether it’s appropriate to offer someone a line of credit); we manage how customers authenticate before they can access our services.
You will be responsible for leading the Core Services tribe. This means ensuring the short and long term focus of the tribe is aligned with the wider business objectives. It requires a strong understanding of what our internal customers - be that consumer product teams or internal stakeholders, such as risk, finance, compliance, legal - need and care about to deliver great customer experiences, and then ensuring the developments within the tribe are in service of that. That cuts across functional, non-functional and technological concerns. In other words, making sure that we build services that meet both today’s and the future’s functional needs; that they can scale reliably; that they support the architectural needs of the teams using them.
More specifically, this means:
- Building relationships with the wider business (other tribe leads and key governance functions) and aligning the tribe’s direction with business priorities.
- Working with the product owners to turn that business understanding into clear short- and long-term goals, and coordinating complex (and moving!) sets of roadmaps.
- Partnering with an Engineering Manager to ensure our technology at Zopa evolves to support changing needs.
- Being the primary guardian of our data governance within these services.
- Owning contractual relationships with key third parties.
- Ensuring we have great delivery practices and we can measure what value we bring to the business.
- Line management responsibility for product owners within the tribe, looking after their personal development.
- You’ve a reasonably technical background and will have owned the build and evolution of complex back-end systems.
- You’ll also be a brilliant problem solver; this is a great challenge for someone who can bring shape and structure to a team that covers diverse domains and is continually evolving.
- Hands-on: happy to take ownership for some product delivery where needed, but know how to create opportunity for others whilst providing appropriate support.
- You can make tough decisions to support your teams where there is uncertainty.
- Able to manage and influence internal stakeholders across product, 2nd line and operations.
- Able to manage third party relationships and contracts.
- Experienced in team leadership.
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.