SQL Database Engineer
Technology – Tech Ops
Hello there. We’re Zopa the Feel Good Money company.
In 2005 we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. Since then we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
It works so well that we want to give our customers access to other great products and tools, empowering them to better manage their money. That’s why, in December 2018, we launched a different type of bank, allowing us to bring a greater range of smart finance products to even more people.
We are currently looking to recruit a Database Engineer who will take ownership of all databases across the business.
A Database Engineer at Zopa will be working closely with development, engineering and application support teams to support, maintain and enhance our existing database infrastructure in pre-production and production support environments, helping improve existing and new application functionality, ensuring procedures, policies, and best practices are kept up to date.
The Database Engineer will be working in a small team of thee DBAs and will be responsible for managing and maintaining the AWS Aurora and on-premises MS SQL Server database environments, ensuring that they are supported and fit for purpose, with particular attention to best practices for performance, reliability and design. It also involves providing consultancy and reviews for database designs and code written by developers.
The working hours will be 09:00 to 17:30 Mondays to Fridays, plus out of hours via on-call on a rota basis, providing 24/7 support.
A Database Engineer must have:
- Solid experience with MS SQL Server as administrator or T-SQL developer
- Experience with OLTP systems and large databases
- Experience in performance optimization
- Hands-on with Always On AG management
- Set-based thinking
- Familiarity with AWS solutions, ideally – with RDS Aurora
- T-SQL at high level
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL
- Ability to model databases from business requirements, to compare solutions offered by others and to recommend the best basing on requirements
- Great communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with different teams across Zopa, especially with Developers
We would also like our Database Engineer to have:
- Experience with HADR
- Agile development experience
- Experience with 3rd part tools for DB monitoring, alerting, documenting, planning etc
- Experience in data governance
- Understanding of basic InfoSec
This role will require on-call participation on a rota basis
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.