Risk & Controls Senior Manager
Finance – Finance /
Employee - Permanent
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
Our diverse team is united in their mission of creating simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customer’s needs at their heart. We’re proud that this dedication is reflected in our excellent rating on TrustPilot.
We’ve always been unapologetically honest with our customers, and value the same in return. Their feedback helps us shape what we build, so we can provide a bank fit for today, and for the future.
We’re not the new kids on the block though - we’ve been a pioneering force in finance for 16 years. In 2005, we built the first ever peer-to-peer (P2P) lending company, giving our customers access to loans built for real-life and intelligent investments backed by cutting-edge tech. In 2020, we launched Zopa Bank, meaning we could offer more – like fixed term savings backed by FSCS protection and a credit card to help customers take control of their finances.
We’ve lent out over £6 billion and are proud to have made money work better for over half a million people across the UK, whether they were looking to borrow or save.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa. Check out our latest video on culture and Values at Zopa HERE!
Zopa Bank is one of the fastest growing neobanks in the UK with exciting plans for an IPO in the near future. In response to this growth, future IPO, and in anticipation of the proposed UK corporate reform that will increase accountability of management and directors over financial reporting, we're looking for Risks & Controls Senior Manager to join our first line Finance and Legal team.
The Risk & Controls Senior Manager will work with the Finance Director and Heads of each Finance function to design and implement robust control frameworks over all aspects of internal and external reporting. The role will cover the whole of Finance (Financial Control, Management Reporting, Financial Reporting, Regulatory Reporting, Financial Planning and Budgeting, Tax Reporting, Treasury and Legal).
A day in the life:
- Scope and assess the current state of internal control frameworks as well as the design, implementation and operating effectiveness of controls across Finance & Legal (Financial Control, Management Reporting, Financial Reporting, Regulatory Reporting, Financial Planning and Budgeting, Tax Reporting, Treasury and Legal)
- Lead the design, documentation, and implementation of scalable internal control frameworks by working with business area owners and ensuring that these are subject to appropriate levels of governance
- Develop strategies to enhance and automate controls where possible
- Educate and support teams in appropriate execution of internal controls and ensuring that controls and actions are appropriately evidenced and reviewed
- Perform regular reviews of the effectiveness of internal control frameworks
- Work closely with the second line of defense and internal/external auditors as part of periodic reviews and audits
- Prepare and present reports to senior management and Board committees
- Build and develop the first line Risk & Controls function to develop it into a standalone function as the Bank becomes listed
- You're a qualified accountant with a minimum of 3 years post qualification experience in external/internal audit, risk or compliance, preferably gained within a Top 6 accounting firm or within a regulated financial services business
- You have a proven track record in assessing the design, implementation and operating effectiveness of internal controls
- You're highly organised, effective at project management and can manage conflicting priorities
- You're resilient under pressure, embrace change and can operate in a fast-paced environment
- You’ll be energetic, motivated, and have a passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of success
- Ideally you'll have experience of working within the US SOx control environment
- An understanding of bank regulatory (PRA/FCA) reporting and compliance requirements is preferred
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 90 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.